Biography

I’m currently a student at UBC in the Bachelor of Computer Science (ICS) program. This program provides a condensed degree in Computer Science intended for people who already have a bachelor’s degree in another field. Personally, I have a previous degree in Psychology. When I graduated, I worked as a Behavioural Support Worker for my local school district. However, after a few years of loving that job, I decided I was up for a different kind of challenge. I had never coded before at all, so I tried it out one day. I ended up having a ton of fun, and thought I’d apply to the BCS program.

At first, I was extremely intimidated in this program. Computer Science is a massive field that is still very new to me, and it felt that I was very behind my peers in terms of experience and software-related knowledge. I am currently working as a Software Developer full-time while finishing off my degree. At work, I build software that allows businesses to engage with their customers, keep track of metrics, and even increase their sales. When I have a free moment, I’m mentoring at hackathons, doing online tutorials, and putting in extra hours at work.

The majority of my past work experience has been in the helping professions. My first job ever was McDonalds as a teenager, and after that, I navigated my way through multiple avenues of work — from biking instructor to customer service, and finally, a special needs support worker. Many people comment that my path was non-typical, but I would argue that my people skills that I have picked up along my seemingly-random jobs are invaluable. Today, I am able to effectively communicate with clients and co-workers alike. I would argue that if I went straight into Computer Science from the get-go, I would have missed out on years of other work experience that has allowed me to become a more well-rounded professional.