I BOUGHT A BIKE!

So don’t listen to my last post, because I was wrong and everyone else telling me to get a bike was right. Biking is a way of life in Copenhagen, and my unwillingness to get one, mostly out of nostalgia for North American culture, was for the wrong reasons.  Lesson learned: be open to how things work in new surroundings.

11949658_10156008273895252_1152556478_n

Some bike buying tips I’ve learned:

• Second hand bike buying in Copenhagen requires efficiency; comment on a post or call the seller’s # ASAP to arrange a bike viewing.
  • Definitely do not spend more than 1000 DKK on a second hand bike. Also make sure that it’s in workable condition- repairs are very pricey! Also try to get a lock and bike lights included in the price because they are necessities. I got mine from Chili Bikes in Frederiksberg for 800 DKK (Sorry mom, I tried really hard to bargain) where they also have a buyback guarantee which is perfect for when I go back home.
  • Make sure the bike you buy isn’t a stolen one by running its serial number on the internet.

Over the past few days, I explored more of Copenhagen. I saw the Little Mermaid statue, based on the fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen. Kirsten warned me several times before bringing me there that it was an extremely small statue and an embarrassment to Copenhagen. I still thought it was cute though!

11951498_10156007121955252_5721845027166472904_o

I also went to Christiana, a small neighbourhood where the residents operate under laws independent of the rest of Denmark.  It is a popular tourist attraction; the buildings are covered in amazing artwork and they have an open (but not legal) cannabis market.

11942135_10156007120295252_2723074671857862845_o11138594_10156016194785252_3178815216522441326_n

My favorite part was visiting Tivoli, an amusement park that reminded me very much of Disneyland, with its beautiful landscapes, exciting rides, and energetic atmosphere. Actually no, my favorite part was my roommate arriving from London!!! Yay! Since I don’t live in a dorm, it will be great to have a partner in crime in close proximity. In Danish, there is a word called “hygge” which roughly translates into English as a cozy feeling. One night, the family, my roommate, and I all made crepes ( they call them pancakes here) and it was the perfect feeling of hygge. They even used the maple syrup I got them from Canada ( which they always jokingly tell everyone to stop eyeing haha.)

I’ve also been attending orientation sessions, getting a tour of campus, and understanding how classes and exams work. One of the presenters talked about culture shock, which surprisingly really hit home for me. I’ve come across this term from my studies at school, and I always thought I understood the meaning, but it’s a completely different thing to feel it.  As the presenter explained, the first stage is where everything is glorious and great because Denmark is new and exciting. The second stage is when Denmark begins to suck, and differences between this new culture and your own are highlighted.  You start to glorify your own culture and become withdrawn, only talking to people who can relate to how great things were back home. I experienced this second stage for about a week. I missed home, and I admit I had several thoughts about how cars and fast food ruled, and bikes and bread sucked. But thankfully, I’m moving into the third stage, where I am learning to appreciate and adapt to this new culture.

I’m experiencing new things everyday:

• Gender neutral bathrooms (in the malls, campus, everywhere!)
  • Being charged 5 DKK ( ~$1) for tap water at restaurants
  • Different biking hand signals, and note: you can’t turn right at red lights
  • Clubs closing at 6 AM- the party starts at 2 AM
  • Public drinking
  • Danish folk dancing ( Very similar to high school square dancing, including the sweaty hands)

Tomorrow, my classes begin and I am so excited.  I still think it’s weird because some of my class times overlap, and that’s not a huge deal here. The campus buildings are far from each other, and in some cases I can even take the metro to get to my next class. I can’t wait to tell you guys all about it. Until next time!