Copenhagen Arrival Guide

You’ve landed, now what? You need a working SIM to let everyone back home know that you’re safe and to update your Snapchat story of course.

STEP ONE:  SIM CARD

Head to any convenience store and ask for a SIM card plus a top up plan. I personally use the company Lebara, because I received a Lebara SIM card in my CBS Welcome Package. Chances are, the majority of other international students will also be using Lebara, and calls/texts to other Lebara users are free! I pay 49 DKK (~ $10 CAD) for 2 GB of data per month.

Ok, now you and Google Maps can go find your new home.

STEP TWO: TRANSPORTATION

A bike is the cheapest and most common method of travel, but this is not the most feasible option immediately upon arrival (think of all the luggage you have to haul.)  You can check out my bike buying tips in my previous post!

1. A monthly pass is the most practical if you plan to use public transportation daily. It is valid for 30 days, starting on the day of purchase, for unlimited use of the S-train, metro, and busses. There are up to 8 zones, but realistically a two zone pass will get you to all the main areas of Copenhagen and costs 365 DKK.

EXTREME MONEY SAVING TIP: BRING A PASSPORT SIZED PHOTO OF YOURSELF. I paid an extra 100 DKK  ( ~ $20 CAD!!!) to get my photo taken in a photo booth.

1. A Rejsekort is a re-loadable travel card and is the best option if you plan to bike regularly. There are two options for the Rejsekort. You can

a) Buy an anonymous one at any metro station for 80 DKK. You will receive it right away, and this                  is especially useful during your first week of arrival when you are exploring the city and have                      not yet purchased a bike. Since it is anonymous (no picture on it), you can also share it with                        others.

b) Buy a personal one online for 50 DKK. While this is 30 DKK less, it will take a few days to                             arrive by mail. Since your picture will be on it, it will make it more difficult for others to steal                       or misuse your card. HOWEVER, you will need a CPR number, which brings me to one of my                     fondest memories thus far as an exchange student.

STEP THREE: OBTAINING YOUR CPR NUMBER

Just kidding, the CPR number journey has single handedly  brought me onto the verge of tears. The CPR number is basically the Denmark version of a Canadian SIN number, and it is mandatory to register for one. As the kind Samaritan that I am, I will try to explain the process as clearly as I can in the hopes that you will remain relatively sane. Please note that my experience is as a Canadian citizen, and the process may differ for other Nationalities.

1. Bring a photo copy of your Passport, Housing Contract, and Residence Permit letter to your local city hall and find the International Citizen Service Center. It is very important to go to the city hall that is located in the district you are living.
  2. Grab a waiting number
  3. Wait from anywhere between 1- 3 hours
  4. Get called to the desk
  5. You will be handed a short form to fill out.
  6. Pray that you have all the correct documentation because they will not tell you otherwise. If yes, you will receive your CPR number in the mail within 10 days. If not, repeat steps 1-5.

I hope this guide will help you prevent many headaches and the purchase of Advil.  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions 🙂