Reading for Week 9

Hi guys

Here is the reading for this week.  Sorry I am a little behind with the blog.  Please read this for Friday and we will talk about it on Thursday.  I will post a blog topic for this (comics) and then a blog topic and reading for Tuesday the 6th.

Tuesday the 6th is cancelled because I have to fly to NY for a job interview.  I will post an extra blog topic and reading instead and we will have a discussion in class on the following Thursday.  This Thursday I will also make up the groups for the Cracked Listicle Project (Fun!)

Don’t forget to send me your proposals for this Friday.

No Film Link and Blog Post Topic

Hi all

Here is the link to the film.  We watched up until 1:09.  Finish watching it at home and then write a brief blog post on your response to it. Discuss your impressions of the film.  What did you find interesting about it?  Do you think that there was some merit to the criticisms that the film received?  Do you think it overstates the role of advertising in the Plebiscite victory for the No side.

Final Paper Proposals for Friday, March 2nd

Hi Everyone

Your project for Reading Break is to begin to consider topics for your final essays and to come up with a topic and a preliminary sketch of what you would like to do in your final essay.  I am aware that your topic may change in the month before the class ends, however I would like you to start planning now.

For your proposal you need to give me a 1-2 paragraph preliminary sketch of the topic you are interested in as well as 1 primary and 3 secondary sources you will be using.  (please no more than 2 pages for this)

For topics, you can discuss any of the artists, works or movements we looked at in class, from Chile, Argentina and Cuba or a similar movement from another country during the same time period (1970s-1990s).  With the former, you can expand your research to look at other works in the artists oeuvre or movement or how the movement approaches the regimes.  You can also compare multiple artistic movements across countries and how they compare with each other.  I am fairly flexible.  You can use any theoretical approach you like (I don’t delve into intersectionality much in this class, so you are welcome to do a feminist/gender/racial or postcolonial approach if that is what you are interested in).  Or you can even go into the issue of nostalgia and how contemporary popular culture in Latin America approaches the past (Such as the film No).

These should be e-mailed to me in an MSWord or PDF document by March 2nd at 11:59 pm.  My e-mail is Barbara.fraser@ubc.ca

Notes for Week 6, Information and Readings For Week 7

Hi Everyone

Here are the notes on the No Campaign and the film No.

NoCampaign

No-Notes

I could not my iTunes copy to play on the projector, so I have ordered a copy from the library for next week. We will watch it on Thursday.  Tuesday’s class is cancelled because I have a legal matter in Victoria to attend to.  I will send out an e-mail on Monday night to remind you.

Here is a link to a very brief reading on the movie No. For next week

Please e-mail your papers to me by midnight tomorrow.

For the blog:  Discuss in the comment section the relationship between politics and advertising during the plebiscite campaign.  Do you think the success of the No side was entirely the product of a well run ad campaign?  What does that tell you about the way Chilean society had changed in the 1980s?

Notes and Music for Week 5 and Important Information for Week 6

Hi Everyone

Here are the lecture notes for this week.

Nueva Cancion

Rock and Punk

Blog Homework:  Discuss in the comment section how both the Nueva canción movement and the Rock/pank movement each, in their own way, reflect Ortiz’s idea of “transculturation”, or if they do.

Songs: Nueva canción

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDc9-DyeZj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHm-eFZYGiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en8yqVxuT-U

Rock/Pank

I will provide an English translation of the lyrics as soon as I can.  Here, also is the documentary we looked at.