Oct.29: Pending charter revisions

I suppose this post should be one of our larger Bi-weekly Update posts, but with the charter revision coming up, I’m afraid we’re all rather busy. Luckily, by midnight on Nov.1 you’ll be able to see exactly what we’re planning and doing on our charter proposal on the LFS Wiki (http://wiki.ubc.ca/Course:LFS350/Projects/2014W1/T17/Proposal). Onto the update:

Business from the last post:

• The interview with Chris was a great success! Meagan and I (Ning) met up at Save-On-Meats Diner for a quick breakfast interview. Chris laid out the logistics of his business and his work with Stephanie Nelson of Gordon Nelson Properties. He laid out the basic costs of a typical raised bed, the logistics of soil and setting up, important parts of a successful garden (like signage) and all sorts of useful advice.
  • The two toolkit teams are still busily writing up their sections.
  • Our perception study is pending approval from Andrew, but Dora and I will be meeting with him tomorrow to discuss some things.

New business:

• Fun facts about Ning: I used to (and still do) volunteer for an urban farm called the Edible Garden Project. When I heard that they were building a Herb Garden as well, I figured it was time to check back in on them.
  • We interviewed Emily Jubenvill of the EGP over the phone, asking her important questions about herb garden roles and impacts. The EGP Herb Garden is designed to be more an inter-cultural tool than the GNH model, but we still drew some valuable insights from it.
  • Our charter is almost revised and completed! Lots of big changes, least of which is that we’ll have to rename this blog.
  • Susanna has approved of our idea to craft some signs for the Herb Garden for our Community Service Learning hours as Lucy (our TA) has also signed off on it. We’ll be planning a sign-making party soon as we frantically dig up old elementary school art projects in a futile attempt to remember how to make things pretty.

That’s all for now, folks!