First Days in Residence!!!

Day One: Luck

I cannot get over how lucky I am at the moment. Right now I am sitting in my brand new room in my brand new building in Totem Park. Today was whirlwind of a day, running around trying to buy all of those last extra things, hauling everything out into the car and driving out to UBC with my sister eager to find my new home. Finding it, and bringing three large suitcases, five boxes, three bags and a bike up into my room. Unpacking all of the carefully folded clothes and trying to devise a way of fitting them into the drawers provided. Meeting suitemates, floormates, housemates, and other undergraduates all at once. Walking around with new friends. Going to the cafeteria and waiting in the line for dinner. Floor meeting. And finally going out to a toga frat party wearing pillowcases… First official undergraduate must that has been checked off of my list! I am lucky for so many reasons and although I am often unlucky too, right now I can only think of the lucky things. The whole year seems to be stretching out in front of me, so much to do and so many possibilities.

Day Two: Not quite so lucky!

Second day of Totem: This morning I woke up after four hours sleep and pulled myself out of bed. Wearily I dragged myself into the bathroom only to find out 15 minutes later that our shower does not work. Another thing to add to my small list of “room issues”.  Topping the list right now is the lack of internet in my room… You just do not realize how dependent you are on internet until it is gone!!! With the the IT department in my room for what felt like close to an hour, it still is not fixed. So I am having to hijack other people’s ports while waiting until Tuesday before anyone is working again. Also unlike our other floor mates our room upon arrival was missing a variety of essential things such as garbage cans and toilet paper. Fortunately my roommate and I figured things out!

Anyways other than that I had a fabulous day, breakfast in the cafeteria is delicious (they have excellent oatmeal), and walking/ riding around campus with new friends to get the rest of the essentials (large mirror, lab coats & goggles, e.t.c.) was fun. Everyone here is really nice, friendly and very, very international!  Tomorrow morning I am going to walk around campus and find out exactly where my classes will be held before going to Wreck Beach!

Some things to bring to residence:
– Clothes, but not too many. space is very limited so try to keep it to one suitcase
*remember to bring a swimsuit, there is a beach and a couple of pool parties
– hangers
– over the door coat hook
– extra shelving if possible
– laundry basket and detergent
– plastic bags for garbage
– bathroom necessities including toilet paper and cleaning supplies
– chargers for computers, cameras and phones
– pictures of friends and family
– anything to personalize your room
– ethernet cable
– printer (not really necessary), can be purchased at Future Shop for as little as $30, but make sure that you bring paper and ink if it is not included
– umbrella and rain boots
– bike (if you can bring one)
– bath mat if you are in a shared residence
– possibly a mirror to keep in your room

There is also more detailed residence checklist available here: http://www.housing.ubc.ca/files/van/pdf/resident_section/what_to_bring.pdf

Places to get things on campus (that I have found so far):
-The Dollar Store in the village has garbage cans, mirrors, plastic storage containers e.t.c. for reasonable prices
Shoppers Drugmart (close to the Dentistry building)
-There is also a Staples in the Village
-During move in day Home Hardware was selling items in the commonsblock
-The UBC Bookstore sells nearly everything you can imagine.
Save-On Foods is also nearby

Tomorrow is Imagine Day and classes fully start on Tuesday! <3

p.s. This is also my first official post as a member of the blogsquad! I am really excited to continue writing throughout the year and looking forward to meeting everyone else soon!

3 thoughts on “First Days in Residence!!!