Adjusting to First Year

The first few official days at UBC have are already over and although I was feeling a little overwhelmed at the beginning of the weekend. I managed to get most things done! My course load is quite heavy, so balancing everything (life/school) is going to be a big challenge! Anyways a quick review of my course schedule and courses so far:

Mon, Wed, Fri:

Psychology 101: Nice class to have first thing in the morning, but up until now, just basic introductions… having trouble staying awake while completing the readings from the textbook though.

Physics 107: Love this class even though the workload is heavy. We have to read a   dense chapter a week, we have two pre-reading tests, one assignment due and clicker questions in class… not the mention exams.

Math 100: I like math, but at the moment we are just reviewing high school calculus

*lunch break 1 hour*

Chemistry 121: After taking two years off I started out completely lost in this class… not a good sign, fortunately the prof seems really organized and although I am having to do a lot of review hopefully I will be ok.

Computer Science 110: I love this course!!! It is a lot of fun and I feel like I have a lot to learn in it!

Tues, Thursday:

Labs and tutorials for Computer Science, Chem and Physics… These start this week which is kind of terrifying!

Anyways as a first year I am not entirely sure about how much homework I should be doing for each course, how fast paced they will end up being, how much material will be covered in class, and in how much detail I have to study everything. I suppose it depends on the course and I will find out once I get my first assignments/ quizzes back.

One last thing before I sign off… If you can bring a bike to UBC, I have no idea how I would get to my back to back classes in under 10 minutes without it! <3

2 thoughts on “Adjusting to First Year

1. Don’t worry about the homework too much at this point. Like you said, it will figure itself out. Generally the only homework is just to pre-read and occasionally Vista quizzes. Biggest advice I can give you would be to stay up to date with your pre-readings. There’s nothing worse than to be weeks behind during exam season!!

😀