Yet another rant on China and on being Chinese

People from the US have told me how much they hate it when others make gross generalisations and say horrible things like, “Americans must be stupid. Just look at their president.”

Well, tell you what. I hate it when people say sweeping things like, “China is an evil country because it is communist. [We don’t even need to talk about Chinese people’s opinions because they’re brainwashed too.]” Not only can I put forth an argument that this political analysis is off the mark, but it really, really upsets me. It upsets me when people take this superior moral stance, quoting whatever they hear and passing judgment, without ever even trying to understand where another country is coming from.

I admit: I get defensive over China. But you know, I used to be like that too. I listened to western viewpoints regarding China because I thought they were more detached and therefore more objective. It’s like how I didn’t believe individuals were the best judges of their own character. As far as I was concerned, China’s opinions were too emotional and unreliable. This included China’s feelings about the Yakusuni Shrine. I took Japan’s position on the demand for an apology regarding WWII — China is making too big of a deal.

Until I thought how I would feel if it were any other country. Pick two names out of a hat. Two countries in any other continent. Let the war replay. Let the debate replay. I would be so angry.

Studying modern Chinese history in a British school in post-handover Hong Kong was one of my most confusing experiences ever, a confusion that still continues. It’s the art of sorting through a pile of western, anti-Chinese comments and another pile of defensive, pro-Chinese ones. Which one is right — or is the truth closer to something in between the two poles?

They shouldn’t pass judgment if they don’t even want to understand.
Am I being too defensive? What if they’re right and I’m being unreasonable?
But what if they’re not? What if I’m right and they really aren’t willing to listen?

China is not changing fast enough. / Don’t rush China so much; don’t be so harsh. It is changing and it will keep changing. Let them change slowly.
Criticism is the most effective way of changing China. / Listening, coaxing and concessions would be more effective.
Regardless of what they say, they have a terrible human rights record. So many people’s rights are being sacrificed because China is taking so long to change. / It can’t change overnight. As terrible as this sounds, as long as it is changing bit by bit, how much more can you realistically expect?
They should have democracy. / If democracy is so natural, China will eventually get there anyway. Why rush — and potentially ruin — the natural progress? And do you believe that democracy is superior because you’ve seriously analysed several different political systems and have reasons for thinking that is best, or because you just accept what you’re told?

I don’t even know what I’m asking for anymore.

3 responses to “Yet another rant on China and on being Chinese