Unit 3 Reflection: Writing Strategies & Drafting Formal Reports

Hello Classmates,

This unit focused on researching and organizing my formal report draft, and I had a lot of fun doing it. Learning about different research techniques and reconnecting with people in my chosen organization was a great experience. Because of the pandemic, I had not communicated with several individuals over several months. Nevertheless, I found that people working at Air Attack Volleyball Club were enthusiastic about sharing their knowledge and were ecstatic that I was working on new concepts to potentially improve the club. In the process of writing my formal report draft, I learned that my survey questions needed to be more refined, and that I could leave certain questions aside if they weren’t relevant to the project. Additionally, finding precise numbers to work on a budget and prove financial feasibility proved to be difficult in a proposal. A lot of numbers in my report were theoretical and would have to continuously be reviewed if the club decided to pursue my idea. However, I believe my report provided evidence that the topic was worthy of exploring, as survey results from current members in the organization indicated a wide interest for my idea.

While I was peer reviewing Siddhartha’s formal report about communication within his chosen company, I learned it is very difficult to understand figures and data without interpretation from someone with expertise. In my case, Siddhartha did a wonderful job deconstructing the information received from his surveys and explaining nuance to his intended audience. While his report was detailed, his explanations were also easy to comprehend for someone who hadn’t worked inside the company before, as it did not use too much jargon. Supplemented by well-designed and effectively labeled graphics, Siddhartha’s report was reader-friendly and visually appealing, something I wanted to make sure I integrated into my formal report as well. The peer review stage of this assignment was lengthy, but undoubtedly valuable as it provided an opportunity to self-reflect and adjust our own projects as well.

Formal Report Draft: Matthew Shen