Adapting (March 30 – April 2)

Describe one of your lessons this week to me. What was so memorable about it? If it was a “great lesson”, what made it that? If it was a lesson that didn’t go so well, why? If you learned a lot from the lesson, what did you learn and why? If you were to do this lesson again, would it go the same way? Why or why not and what would you do differently?

This past week the foods 11/12 classes started a mini unit on risotto. I teach 2 blocks of this class and first class actually went very well. I was able to capture everyone’s attention and everyone stayed on task. When I showed a quick video as students began on the risotto method, everyone paid attention. The second block for me was much more tricky. I did the same thing as I did with the first block; I introduced what risotto was, explained that we will be doing this over several classes with different grains. There was also an assignment researching different grains, which I explained and encouraged students to finish during class. I showed the video as students began their recipe, and circulated the room to help and answer any questions concerning method.

The second block however I found was much more challenging. There tends to be a lot more visitors in this block, as well as students tend to slip in and out without letting me know. Grade 12 student interviews were also held throughout the day, so some students had to leave halfway through class. Every student that had an interview during the period checked in with me before leaving, but some students felt like they could come and go as they please, most likely because they didn’t think I would know their actual interview time (a copy of interview times was given to every staff member). When I showed the video on the risotto method, only half the class stopped to watch the video; all others were involved in their own conversations. At the end of the block, some students came back into the room with visitors. I spoke to them about where they’ve been, however in front of their peers. Some units struggled to finish the recipe on time, and so some had to stay in for a little bit during lunch to finish clean up.

I think adjusting for different classes is my biggest struggle. What works for one class may not work for another. I’m finding that I have to assert my authority much more in the second block than with the first block, and that keeping their attention is much more challenging. If I had to teach this lesson again, with the same circumstances, I would have reminded the students to check in with me before they leave for their interview. That way I could catch those who left for no reason. Although I knew visitors and slipping in and out of class were an issue in the previous class, I don’t think I would have addressed it in this class because students were already in and out due to the grade 12 interviews. It is something I will address first thing this week, explaining that I need to know where they are at all times because I am responsible for them.

As for capturing the attention of the class, I think part of that will be solved if I just adapted to the class more. This class is chattier than the other, however at the beginning of the class I was able to get everyone’s attention. I should have shown the video in the beginning while I still had everyone’s attention, especially since the video was very informative on the risotto method.