Curriculum & Pedagogy

In my practicum I was able to teach Foods 11/12, Baking 11/12 and Applied Skills 8, which included Foods 8 and Textiles 8. Although I was very structured with the 8s, I had a lot more flexibility in how I conducted the senior classes. I chose to conduct the class as a facilitator, where students had to navigate the recipe themselves, and I was available if any help was needed. Formative assessment was done through observation for the vast majority of these classes due to the nature of the class and my SA’s decision to have students self-evaluate at the end of each term rather than after every lab. Unit test labs were labelled Edible Test labs, where students had the freedom to recreate any recipe they would like given that it follows the requirements of the test. These practices meant that students were more likely to take ownership of their learning and were encouraged to work cohesively with their partners.

I had very little time with the grade 8s so each class had a specific agenda, leaving little time for them to make a recipe their own. However there are definitely chances to build connectedness in the classroom. One recipe done was of French toast, which with it’s short cooking time, allowed students to sit together at their table and enjoy a meal together with those in their group. These chances allow students to build relationships with those around them, which is especially important as freshmen in the school.

Below are sample lesson plans that encourage critical thinking and community building:

Baking 11/12:

View post on imgur.com

Foods 8

View post on imgur.com