Educational Philosophy

I aim to teach for a society where individuals actively participate in their communities and the global society. Home Economics education does this in three ways: 1) by teaching practical skills; 2) by improving mental and physical health of the individual; and 3) by showing students the connections between themselves and their families and their communities. In a society where food can easily be ordered in, where awareness about mental health is increasing, and where our society is becoming disconnected by becoming more connected, Home Economics is where many students get to practice a variety of skills needed outside of school in a safe environment. I also believe that students are capable of learning for themselves given the skills to do so, and so the teacher assumes the role of facilitator rather than pillar of knowledge. Above all else, Home Economics is a space where students can have fun while they are learning, which I think is something many lose sight of, yet is critical for teaching lifelong learners.