Application Letter

Standard

2075 West Mall

Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z2

May 22, 2020

Technical Writing (English 301) Summer Class of 2020

University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1

Dear Students of Technical Writing:

I am writing to express my interest in becoming a part of a professional writing team for this course. I am very eager to begin working with you and getting to know you.

As stated in my blog, I am the Internal Director and current stand-in Professional Development Coordinator for TheCalendar. These positions allow me to take the lead on almost all human resource and professional development initiatives by our organization. Off-campus, I work seasonally full-time as a sales, marketing, and policy writing assistant for my family’s business. Post-graduation, I plan on pursuing more education and a human resource certification so that I may work in the field as a professional.

My time at the University of British Columbia (UBC) has provided me with a plethora of opportunities in professional development. To name a few, I have received sexual assault bystander intervention & prevention education, sexual assault disclosure training, QPR suicide prevention training, was a UBC delegate at the NACURH Annual Leadership Conference, and presented at the UBC Student Leadership Conference. These experiences have given me some of the appropriate background and development suited for my future in organizational culture and have tailored me to become the empathetic person I am today.

My strengths in terms of writing skills and work habits include, but are not limited to, the following: organization, time management and meeting deadlines, precision, accuracy, and directness. I also have tangible experience in policy writing, business documents, and more. A weakness of mine, although seen as a strength by some, is that I have the tendency to be overly particular with grammar and vocabulary use and I can sometimes be somewhat of a perfectionist.

My learning philosophy is very much rooted in acts of experience and interaction. I learn the best when physically doing or taking part in something, even more so when others are involved in the process.

If you are interested in forming or joining a team for this course with me and my background is of interest for collaboration, I encourage you to contact me through Canvas or email, michbasc@gmail.com, as per the course schedule and outline.

Sincerely,

Michaela Basciano

Technical Writing Student

301 Michaela Basciano Application Letter