Unit 3 Reflection

We started unit 3 by working on writing with a you-attitude. This is quite easy to do when I consciously think about it but the difficulty comes when I constantly forget and veer into my typical writing habits. Each time I reviewed my work I made a bunch of changes to conform to the you-attitude. However, I enjoyed this section of the course very much. I think it has been the most practical so far. The you-attitude appears to be something that I can apply quite regularly in my academic and professional life.

Starting the rough draft for my final report was overwhelming. I had to narrow down exactly what I wanted to talk about in order to keep my report relevant and concise. Collecting the data for the report was quite straightforward. I distributed it to friends and family members and received results soon after. What I struggled with the most was organizing and putting the report together. For example, deciding the order of certain topics, deciding what info to include or leave out, and deciding how much information was too much. I also felt that I was sometimes extrapolating data too much and therefore reaching on my conclusions. I made an extra effort to keep the report as realistic and accurate as possible while also recognizing that some aspects may not be perfect due to the nature of it being a class project and the lack of access to actual business information.

As usual, peer-reviewing was very helpful. The key benefit I received this time around was having to thoroughly read the peer review criteria in order to review Cathy’s draft. This drilled the criteria in my head for implementing into my own paper and catching mistakes. The peer review I received from Cathy was also great for identifying obvious mistakes I made that I glossed over. Unfortunately, I didn’t get my draft to the level I was hoping to before sending it in for a peer review. Hence, I likely missed out on some benefits of having it reviewed. It still feels great to have a somewhat completed formal report draft as it is starting to look professional and well put together. Overall this was a solid unit and I am progressing along as I would hope.

First Draft: 301 Money Dhaliwal – Formal Report Draft