Does Assessment Kill Creativity?

Does Assessment Kill Creativity?

Pre-Read

Before I read this article my inclination is that assessment, in some ways, kills creativity. In my opinion teachers, like all people, attach a lot of ego to their work. It is almost a pathological narcissism that many, but certainly not all, teachers demonstrate when then judge the work of their students. I do not believe, at the elementary level, teachers should be participating in traditional assessment. Surely, there is a lot of institutional and parental pressure which encourages the use of grades but in my mind placing a number or a letter next to a student’s work is in many ways wrong.

Some notes during my read

• Creativity requires novelty and usefulness
      • creativity is often viewed as that which is unique, out of the ordinary, bizarre or deviant — without the additional criterion of creativity can become a euphemism for bad work
  • creativity has 2 stages
      • divergent stage: brainstorming, generating ideas, problems/solutions
      • convergent stage: evaluating, choosing, assimilating ideas
  • turning to “motivational sciences” — sounds scary!!
  • This is interesting to me:
      • by sharing only the best student work, teachers put pressure on students to perform to that social norm, instead of working towards their best
        • I think there is a parallel here with instagram/other social media. students see the best of everyone, not the “not perfect” situations
        • students are more likely to view errors as a lack of ability
      • conversely a mastery goal which focuses on self development, skill development, creativity and understanding –what if students see other’s being very successful at mastery goals? same problem?
  • assessment does not necessarily kill creativity — how the students perceive the message sent by the teacher in assessment that matters.
  • minimizing social comparisons
  • minmize the pressure of assessment — if students feel pressured by “evaluative surveillence” their willingness to express creativity will suffer
  • do not throw praise around for empty, or bad ideas
  • teachers play an instrumental role in shaping students’ perceptions of how much creativity will be tolerated

A few thoughts, after reading the article

In general I agree with what Ronald Beghetto had to say. I find myself quite skeptical of assessment. I do not really want to do it, at this point. Mostly because I do not feel like I have the right to place such a judgment on someone else’s work. I feel that an opinion, an insight, or a connection has a lot more to offer the student from a learning perspective as well as a practical one.

Mastery goals are a very interesting way to look at education. By encouraging students to work towards improving their skills/abilities instead of working towards completing a rubric, I think students are empowered with more agency and should find schools less meticulous and rigid. I, of course, am pretty biased. I do not like rubrics, I had a disdain for “busy work” back in the school days, and I am a big fan of inquiry style teaching.

Ultimately, if as teachers, we can create an environment which fosters creativity and critical thinking I think a fantastic job has been done. Maintaining high level engagement throughout the year — or even the week — is easier said than done. Working towards these ideals, however, teachers can do a lot to make school more interesting for students.

2 thoughts on “Does Assessment Kill Creativity?

1. Thank you for your critical commentary on assessment Jon. It is great to see you grappling with not only your views and background but the pressures on teachers for a certain type of ‘reporting’ of student learning. I agree also that it is of value to determine how using mastery goals vs. rubrics can improve student learning.

It is interesting to separate the notion of ‘grading’ and evaluation from the idea of assessment. I think that, perhaps, it isn’t assessment you are opposed to but more evaluation (this is more than simple semantics as you will discover during your assessment course and through your observations in practicum). Further, while grading may be the result of our summative evaluation of a student’s learning, it does not need to be. When I consider the difference between assessment and evaluation, I think of assessment as formative, ongoing and process-oriented – essential to drive learning – while I see evaluation as summative, and possibly product oriented – the point where learning pauses and, in my mind, less essential TO learning (though nonetheless important for reporting).

As you correctly noted, evaluation is judgmental – though I’m not sure about how deeply embedded teacher’s egos are in this judgment. Assessment does not need to be…

• Hi Yvonne,

It is interesting. I was reading over this comment tonight. I ended up talking about assessment with my SA after class and she put it in terms that made sense to me. Building lessons requires that you understand where your students are. I think finding a balance between allowing for creative exploration and figuring out where your students actually stand is something that teachers end up finding over time. As I think more and more about it, however, I think that I assessment is another area that I have to work hard at.

The distinction between evaluation and assessment is interesting. I think you are correct. Rather complex the life of a teacher can be… I think.