I’m a biology student entering the third year of my undergrad. While the ORHDP may not be relevant to my studies, it’s a fantastic opportunity to explore local heritage and history.

As the project has gone on, I’ve fallen into my niche on the team as somewhat of a Photoshop specialist. Although my coworkers take on just as much editing as I do, I’ve had several years experience with Adobe Photoshop and similar software while creating artwork, and I’ve learned one or two tricks of the trade.

Naturally, I can’t get very creative in the editing process since we want to make our images represent the objects as accurately as possible. That said, there are always new hurdles!

Some photographs or documents are too large for our flatbed scanners, some won’t lie flat enough for our overhead scanner. When this is the case, some clever tricks are necessary in post-production, and Photoshop answers the call. Tweaking the action sets that help us automate our editing and devising faster and more specific processes are my favourite tasks to tackle. The sooner things are processed, the sooner they’re available to the public!

As of now, I’m set to be with the project for the duration of the next academic year.