My Favorite Class.

his palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy

hit by the fact it’s that time already

prayin’ and hopin’, teach won’t pick his name next
‘fraid of taking all those stares and losing word’s effects
success. that is what he’s aiming for.
no one wants to be a bore.
all we want is just the glor-
re. read, the letters with some grace.
man, give the man some space.
as he sets a good pace.
and the projection
the volume
the general stare
known as contact
to react to his pretty little act.

What class is this that I’m describing? COMM 299: Public Speaking.  I could be getting 50% in this class for all I know but I definitely enjoy it more than other classes.

Why I like it:

• Sit and listen to people talk. The topics are broad, so people are probably saying things they actually mean.
  • Nerve wracking adrenaline.
  • It’s like the drama class I never had. Only less drama.

Then again, I’ve only had 2 classes of it so far.  Maybe that’s why I like it…

Random fact about me #3: I like to randomly rap… and sing… and make covers on Youtube. Let’s never speak of it again.

What’s your favorite class?
(It’s ok if you just hate school too.)

Choose your own adventure.

(from here? XD)

It is 3:55 Friday afternoon.  You sit down in your seat for your last class of the day. Math. Due to a conference (or something of the sort, you weren’t really paying attention), your teacher has been away all week.  The teacher (whose name also escapes you) who has been subbing is not here yet.

Last night, your actual teacher emailed the class a reminder to hand in the assignment for today.  This is probably the reason why there is a small herd of young adults gathering around the “hand in box”.

The problem is… last Friday, that was the “hand back box”.  Despite your horrible attention span and memory, you remember clearly that the teacher only contemplated the use of the box for hand ins. Besides, will “the sub” know that it is the hand in box?  Should you get off your ass from the far back row in the class to go all the way down and up the stairs, only to possibly have to do it again?

Do you:
a) Hand it in. Hey, if everyone else is doing it.
b) Hold on it. That’s right, be a rebel!
c) Make a friend. Get them to hand it in.
d) Keep weighing the options. (Please refer to option b)
e) Get out of your seat, only to realize you didn’t do all the questions yet.

If you chose a or c (or chose b or d and ended up doing a or c anyways), you are like the large majority of the class.

If none of the options suited you.  Then you are like the 1 or 2 guys in this class who just handed it in and left.

It is now 4:05.  There is no teacher.  You start getting excited because maybe he won’t show. Maybe you will have a whole hour extra of FRIDAY! A girl goes to the front of the class and says that we should all collectively leave at 4:10.

4:08.  You’re just too anxious. You put on your back pack and start heading to the asile. Wait. What about the homework you slaved over?

a) Think about it more.
b) Stop thinking. Leave.

If you chose a, you are 97% of the class.

What if some jerk waits till everyone is gone and takes everyone’s homework? What if no one takes it but only yours is lost in the shuffle?

A boy goes to the front of the class and facilitates a vote.  Whether we all take our homework back or we gather them up and give it to another teacher.

a) Leave it and leave.
b) Take it and go.
c) “maybe the teacher will come…”
d)You forget what you did but you’re out the door. FRIDAY!

(mainly a 50/50 split between a and b, with a few for the rest)

Well, it’s Friday afternoon.  Maybe you’re inside, maybe you’re not. Either way, there was no class in the end.

If you are like the guy in the 3rd row from the back, center, you calculated out how much money you just lost for the class you paid for but didn’t have.

Lesson learned: Decisions cost you those few extra minutes of your day. Not that you didn’t already know that.

If you are like me, you ended up leaving the homework, sat in the sub, ate at Crystal Mall food court, saw friends waiting for the bus and tagged along on their quest for Korean BBQ, saw Megan Fox’s Jennifer’s Body and enjoyed a nice walk in the rain home at 1 am.

[This post was based on true events and people. Any resemblance to real faces, thoughts or decisions may indeed be real.]

“The Swagger of a College Kid”

TI – Live Your Life

So we’re finally here.   The end of the first week.  (or something happier sounding: the first weekend of the school year)  Have you developed your swagger?

If I had a swagger right now, it would be a hunched over one.  This was a very tiring week.  I remember in grade 7 all the teachers said that going into high school would be a huge change.  In grade 8 we even had multiple orientations.  Personally, I didn’t find it much of a difference and adjusting was easy.  University however, is quite the formidable challenge in terms of the work load (to me anyway.)  How exciting! Really!

It is a little hard though, the amount of reading I already have to do is scary.  It’s just how university is though I guess.  My friends at other institutions are going through the same things.

A recap of my week:

IMAGINE Day
I am not a fan of chants.  School/Faculty pride is fine and dandy but chants… not so much.  The atmosphere changed things though.  When all the faculties gathered in the stadium for the pep rally, I just got compelled to yell and wave things around like a maniac along with all the other maniacs in the seats (pretty much everyone?)  As lame as it sounds, when everyone did the YMCA in the stands together, I could breathe the unity in the air.  It was a great feeling.

Class
The pace of lessons is very different from high school.  It’s faster.  Teachers are more passionate about teaching than I thought they would be.  Otherwise, learning is learning.  Only the work is harder and heavier.

Free Stuff
There is free stuff everywhere!  Clubs always hand out pins.  Fido gave me gum.  And there was this one cart thing that literally gave out candy by the handful.

Not Free Stuff
My friend and I thought that the AMS BBQ had free food.  So we went in, but first we had to get past the security check thing.  They dumped out our water.  We thought we would get free food inside so we told ourselves it would be worth it.  But the food wasn’t free.

WOODWARD to MATH is far
Power walk it.

Napping
Classes move too fast to blank out for more than a minute and the little table thingy that comes out from the chair is too small.  Koerner Library in the basement is very quiet though.  The long commute is a nice place to nap too.  I think I will need it.

Notebooks or Binders
Notebooks.

Now to rest my back from carrying textbooks! (and live up the weekend because this week was crazy busy!)

Goodbyes.

Today, after I said bye to the friends that I was hanging out with, I couldn’t help but feel extremely sad that I couldn’t say “I’ll see you at school tomorrow.”  We’re not thousands of miles away from each other, but just knowing that, unlike the past 8 years,  I won’t see them at school is so unsettling.

Goodbye sleeping right before sunrise.
Goodbye waking up at noon.
Goodbye staying out late with friends.
Goodbye minimal responsibilities.
Goodbye TV show marathons.
Goodbye do nothing days.

See you at Christmas time.
Or possibly next weekend! Haha.

Goodbye the best summer I’ve ever had.

Random fact about me #2: This summer I traveled to Asia with 5 of my friends.  It was by far the best vacation of my whole life so far.

Hello… things I’ve yet to meet.

As the last moments of the summer of 2009 wind down, I think I am finally excited for tomorrow.  I don’t want it to come any faster than it should, but I don’t mind that it is coming.

Things to do outside the house when you’re broke:

Who isn’t holding back their wallets a bit these days?  Espicially after buying those textbooks.  (Discount Textbooks @ UBC Village FTW!)

So here’s some stuff to do for free and outside of the house:

plan a: crash a friend’s house
plan a2:  crash the furniture store as if you were crashing a friend’s house
plan b: raid your friend’s video game stash
plan b2: raid best buy’s video game stash (aka go play their Rock Band/WII)
plan c: go to the park
plan d: go to the park that you usually don’t go to
plan e: go on the skytrain and ride it to the most interesting sounding name, get off and walk around
plan f: the seawall!

So it’s not the most interesting compilation of things to do.  Really, it’s just what I’ve been doing.  What have you been doing?  I need some inspiration.

plan g: get a job and start a new list of things to do when not broke?

It’s ending.  I’m sure you know what “it” is and have long realized it’s end so I won’t go into the depressing details.  T minus… a small number of days.

As much as these moments are our own, we can never have them back.