One more class.

One more class for me and my first year is pretty much over.  Except the exams and summer session.  That part has yet to really begin.  But to feel all dramatic, the first year is over… almost.

Thoughts on my first year…

Best part: I learned a lot about myself this year.  There were some things I thought I knew how to do, like study, which it turns out I really didn’t.  Things I thought I couldn’t do, like talking to strangers, which I couldn’t but I wasn’t as bad as I thought I would be.  I learned that I have a lot to learn.

Second best part: new experience.  Just the fact that 1st year was something new made it fun.

Worst part: The fact that there are times where I have no life outside of commuting, studying and working/homeworking. Seriously, >80% of my waking hours.

My favorite class: English 112: Strategies for University Writing.  Strange right?  There’s something about English classes that have always drawn me in. Even if it’s a course like ENGL 112 that most students probably wouldn’t take if it weren’t required.

Most important (non academic) lesson: People are inspiring, and at UBC there are opportunities to come across so many different people.  Take time and soak in their stories.  Don’t underestimate what they may have to say.

If I could go back… I would tell myself to remember to read the syllabuses, study earlier, and because I would know to study earlier, go take part in more things.  I would also tell myself where the computer lounges are and to stop eating so much of those delicious Blue Chip Cookies.

Am I happy? I guess.  Not as solid of an answer as I’d like.  Grades? Not so happy.  Growing up?  Happy.

Notes to self:
EXERCISE MORE
– Learn how to learn again not for the sake of a grade
– Make time for friends, for finding passions.
– EXERCISE MORE!!
– Find a way so that sacrifices in grades don’t have to be made for “having a life.”

Today @ 3:05pm

@ Japanese oral exam, the teacher asked me

バンクーバのしちょうになったら、何にしますか? (more or less)

“If you become the mayor of vancouver, what will you do? (about the things in town)”

After a minute of “i have no idea what you just said”…

スキーをしまうす。

“I’ll go skiing”

I was hoping しちょう was something else instead of “mayor” which didn’t even cross my mind.

The school year is already ending, and I still can’t remember that my english class is at 3 and not 4.  Which resulted in me scheduling my oral exam at the same time as my class.

What I’ve learned in university: having too many breaks make me confused about time.

Note to self: for next year, avoid putting only a single class between two breaks.

Save the knoll.

“Knoll”

aka the hill, the lump, the grassy thing with the tree on the top outside of the SUB.

It’s beautiful.  It was one of the first things that caught my attention when I went on campus for the first time.

It is the location for the new SUB building.  You can go vote for your favorite architect to design the building, examples of their work are on display in the SUB right now. *End plug.*

I’m all for a shiny new building (not that I’ll still be around when it’s done… or will I be?)  but just out of curiosity, how much of the student population hangs out in the SUB?  I used to be there like it was my second home during the 1st semester, but this semester it is just too out of the way.

Back to the Knoll, I have grown an attachment to it though I’ve only sat on it maybe a max 5 times and used it as a meet up/distance gauger of where my friends are maybe about 10 times.

“Hey where are you?  …Ok, I have no idea where that is.  How far is it from the hill thing?”

I think I will be sad to see it go.  One of the architects are offering options of what to do with the Knoll.  Build around it, build over it, build under it, move it up (I hope you can imagine that…).  There are detailed diagrams of this in the SUB.  Sorry I forgot to take a picture of it.

But here is the “suggestion box”

201004061303_269

cowbell

I agree.

Some stats:

There is one more week of school. I can’t believe how incredibly challenging this year has been…

Summer is 4 months long.  That is one third of a year. Am I the only one suprised and already wondering what I’m going to do so I don’t rot this summer?