Picking a Side

One of my personal philosophies when faced with a conflict is to try and look at it from the opposing viewpoint’s perspective. In this way, you can empathise with your competition and look to see if they have any valid reasons to be against you. In reading one of the optional Vancouver Sun readings, I can see how businesses are worried with the movement to share revenue with the Natives. In addition, they might not want to have the Natives regain the land where their factories are. On the other hand, I empathise with the Natives who have had their land taken from them and simply want it back. In my opinion, I believe that businesses should be able to keep the land with some form of compensation for the natives. What happened to the natives was wrong, however it happened many years ago and today’s society shouldn’t be punished for the mistakes of the past. Having learned about shared value in class, I suggest that businesses focus on integrating the aboriginal people (their current obstacle) into their business plan. In this way, they can provide aboriginal people with employment opportunities while eliminating the external factor of land claim. Additionally, they can hire Aboriginal people as “environmental and land consultants” which would further their shared value. Instead of fighting with the Aboriginal people, it would be more beneficial for both parties to simply cooperate.