1. About me

I have taught math and physics for 10 years in Assumption-Iloilo, once an exclusive, private high school for girls.

I completed my masters degree in Curriculum Studies in Physics and Science Education under the supervision of Prof. Yoshihiko Inada Physics II Lab at Okayama University, Japan through a very generous scholarship from Sato Yo International Scholarship Foundation, Tokyo, Japan. Prior to this, I was a recipient of Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Teacher-Trainee Scholar’s Program.

After working as an assistant Japanese language teacher and liaison staff for the University of Cebu-Banilad and MomotaroKai, and as a bilingual Japanese-English transaction data analyst in Accenture-Microsoft Philippines, I started my postgraduate study.

I obtained my Ph.D. in science (physics) education in the Department of Curriculum and Pedagogy, Faculty of Education at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Vancouver, Canada in November 2020. My PhD supervisors were Dr. Marina Milner-Bolotin and       Dr. Samson Nashon and with the support of Dr. Patricia ‘Patsy’ Duff.

During my Ph.D. program, I worked as a research specialist at UBC Institute for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. I also received several research fellowships in STEM education and technology design as a UBC Public Scholar Initiative and Mitacs-Canada Globalink Research Awardee, and UBC Go Global Scholar.

These fellowships were hosted by Prof. Kim Gomez in the Graduate School of Education & Information Studies, the University of California in Los Angeles; Prof. Keith Taber in the Faculty of Education, the University of Cambridge in England; and Prof. Dr. Andreas Vaterlaus in the Solid State Physics & Physics Education Lab at ETH-Zurich.

Until June 30, 2021, I served as a postdoctoral fellow for the curricular and pedagogical research around the PIVOT, an interdisciplinary blue-print to transform undergraduate engineering students’ learning experience in the Faculty of Engineering at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

On July 1, 2021, I took the post of a tenure-track Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Education at “The Mount” (Mount Saint Vincent University), Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.