2. Research interests

Over the last four years, my research has focused on information and communication technology (ICT) integration to improve hands-on science, scientific argumentation skills, and pedagogical content knowledge among STEM K-12 pre-service and practicing teachers in the Philippines and in the UBC Teacher Education Program.

The ICT integration is framed through various lenses such as threshold concepts in physics, students’ funds of knowledge (FoK), and teachers’ technological, pedagogical, and content knowledge (TPACK), and science visualisation. My use of multiple frameworks allows me to examine the complicated impacts of ICT and design on curriculum, pedagogy, and institutional policies in K-12 and higher education.

To continue my teaching and research in the area of STEM education as developed at UBC, in my research fellowships at the University of Cambridge, UCLA, and ETH Zurich, and further studies in Okayama University, Japan, and nearly 10-years of physics and math teaching in Assumption-Iloilo, Philippines, I am examining the broader fields of:

1. Learning analytics (tracing and understanding students’ digital footprints to better support their learning)

2. Learning sciences (enriching our understanding on how learners learn with technology)

3. Learning policy (informing institutional policy around curriculum and pedagogy through research in learning analytics and learning sciences).

Furthermore, my work as a research specialist at UBC’s Institute for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning during my PhD program and postdoctoral fellowship at McMaster University allowed me to explore different scholarships and their intersections such as experiential learning and systems thinking, metacognition, sympathy in science and engineering education, community of practice (CoP) in social work, pharmacy, language and arts, outdoor and environmental education, online and virtual learning, and , etc.