Week 8: Signs of Crisis in a Gilded Age

Reading about Zapata and Villa leading the way through the Mexican revolution was pretty neat. These two were key players in the Revolution, and wanted to fight for the people and for rightful land ownership. Yes, some will argue that these leaders were violent. I guess I can overlook the violence, because I’m a super humanitarian and believe in equal rights for everybody- and since this was the cause that was being fought for, it might have been necessary to be violent. It’s inspiring to see individuals over throw unjust governments and do whatever it takes to make real change happen.

I can’t help but think about all of the issues regarding land that are still prevalent in today’s world. It’s interesting that even in Canada, there are tons of issues with the government overthrowing and abusing the land of indigenous communities. This issue has been going on since colonization, and I think it’s only a matter of time before Canada has a little revolution of it’s own.
Today, in a lot of Latin American countries, land ownership is respected and indigenous rights are more valued and upheld than here in Canada. I think we can attribute that feat to some of these LA leaders, like Villa and Zapata.

It was also interesting to read about workers rights in Latin America. It is very sad to read about the workers in Argentina trying to fight for their rights and being murdered for it. I can’t help but think that even though there has been progress in the last 100 years, workers ESPECIALLY in rural areas of Latin America still don’t experience adequate rights. It seems to be an ongoing issue that unless you are middle to upper class, and close to the city limits, it is always going to be more difficult for you to experience equality when it comes to your livelihood.