January 2022

The Shrouded Woman by Maria Luisa Bombal

The Shrouded Woman, in my opinion, really captured the theme of being modern in comparison to the texts I’ve reviewed in previous weeks. There were many different ideas being explored, such as the point of view being someone reflecting on themselves being dead and the main character being a woman, as opposed to a male.

Although Ana Maria, the narrator, is dead, Bombal personifies her body, to the extent of being able to feel, think, and see. This breaks down the wall between the deceased and living, allowing a difficult but interesting concept to be displayed. This is where “making it new” really comes into effect. The fact that this novel is fiction doesn’t matter, it forces us to bond with a character that is no longer living, but convinces us they are, with thoughts and statements that make sense for a deceased person to have. Specifically, the types of thoughts Ana Maria had were understandable. She’s not hung up on everyday thoughts, but on the most significant of thoughts. For example, her teenage years and love interests early on in life, things that she brought her joy or that she would have done differently. Whereas an ordinary person would just be thinking about what they’re going to eat today. Bombal really found a way to bring a dead person to life, by identifying the truest of events in their life that they would reminisce on if they could. It made me think about how often we think about things that don’t matter, the most miniscule of things – to a point where it almost brought me confidence. To a point where I feel like I may think and live a little differently, or try to at least, with thinking more about the bigger picture and not so much dwelling on unimportant things.

Something that stood out to me was in some of Bombal’s description, particularly the repetition she uses. It reminded of my own story writing, but even more of Edgar Allan Poe’s writing in certain passages. Like in section 3, “the rain falls, finely, obstinately, quietly. And she listens to it falling. Falling on the rooftops, falling until it bends the high heads of the pine trees and the broad arms of the blue cedars, falling. Falling until it drowns the clover and obliterates the paths, falling.” The many different ways of describing one short event involving rain, and extending it like its own story from one detail to another. I especially enjoyed areas of the text like this, as it made it feel familiar to me.

Now I ask, why do you think Bombal took the approach of a deceased main character as the narrator of her story? It may be because Bombal is trying to shock us or make us uncomfortable by relating to a deceased character or maybe it’s just the initial idea Bombal had. Regardless, this approach really brought another element to the theme of modern writing for me.

Paris Peasant by Louis Aragon

When I began reading this book I felt as if I was keeping up with understanding what Aragon was describing, but soon after, maybe 15 pages in, I realized I actually wasn’t. Many times throughout my reading, I found myself retracing over previous pages or trying to make sense of it for minutes at a time before continuing. Then it hit me, that it was more of a description – like a recollection of experience. In that aspect it was admirable, even when it seemed like some ideas were too strung out and overly specific.

This intense description reminded me of the beginning of Combray by Marcel Proust, which I wrote about last week. Similarly, Paris Peasant and Combray had sections where entire backstories and contextual pieces would draw me out of the actual story, or lack thereof, causing me to evaluate if it was me or the text. These works were also similar in their recollective elements, ensuring readers understood how the current situation of the stories came to be.

Though, this text was unique when it comes to narrating and tying in characters. There wasn’t any obvious voice speaking, it just came out as thoughts. Speaking to speak, is the impression it gave me, but with a faint agenda.

Certain parts of Aragon’s writing appeared to be confrontational or pessimistic, or like the speaker was very aware and planted in their ideas. Or in today’s jargon, one could say the speaker was woke. I assume this tracks though, as I took it as the speaker was talking from experience. Examples of this are on page 13, where there is talk of “human fantasies,” “plaiting thick tresses of darkness,” and how one “false step” can “reveal a man’s thoughts.” Here is where I caught my first glimpse of modernity in this text. When I think of modern, I think of how society is today. So in relation to the examples I referred to, one that stands out is of revealing one’s true thoughts and how that comes as a false step. It reminded me of “cancel culture” and how one seemingly wrong move can put society against you. Especially with how the internet is today, it seems that every other day someone is being exposed for something and having their lives diminish because of it – no matter how miniscule it may look.

I now ask, what aspects of the world today do you feel are depicted by Aragon’s descriptions and why that is?

Combray by Marcel Proust

(Particular to Part 1)

First things first, this text had me truly puzzled and even felt chaotic at times.
Specifically, it hopped from describing one thing to another so quickly, almost without transition. It was difficult for me to stay focused and keep a general idea of what was occurring throughout all of my reading, with Proust getting into specifics of every single possible detail. There was a point that seemed like he was describing unnecessary elements of the story, just to purposely throw you off trajectory of what he’s actually trying to convey. An example of this that comes to mind is on page 12, where we go so far into Bathilde and her husband’s drinking problem. Maybe I just don’t see the connection to the rest of the story, but these parts of the text directed me away from continuing. However, although I did not feel the need to have these extra details, I did enjoy the diction and imagery that Proust used in these sections. He really brought these parts of the text to life and allowed me to imagine it, to feel as if I was overlooking these moments as they happened.

Being honest, I’m still having a hard time piecing together what I read and how it comes together as a part of a larger story. The density of each page and constant divulging into semi off-topic anecdotes kept pushing me away from retaining the actual important information to understand what was taking place. At one point, I was trying to discern if this was a recollection of a not-so-disturbing but baffling fever dream.

Though I must say it was not all bad. Some areas, such as the speaker’s mother approaching Swann about his daughter, were interesting and had me invested in how the characters would respond. I also found some aspects relatable, such as having guests over while I’m in my room just waiting on them to leave.

Also, I feel as if it may be partially my own doing on why I found this text difficult to follow. I didn’t read the entire chapter all in one sitting, so as I sat down the following couple days to continue reading I may not have retained the points that were crucial to grasp the ideas Proust was laying down.

A question I had as I read this amazingly confusing chapter of Combray was “why does this text, or does Proust feel the need to, contain so many misleading features on the way to discovering the story at hand?” Maybe with all components of this entire text it makes more sense, or maybe it’s on purpose – as a challenge. I look forward to further discussion on this topic and how others feel in relation to reading Combray by Marcel Proust.

The First Post by Raymon Saran

What is someone who would go as far as to say he despises reading doing in a course completely suffocated by infinite texts, novels, novellas, and more. I don’t really know…but I do enjoy learning about things that are not often spoken of in everyday conversation, so maybe that’s what’s keeping me here (for now). Being able to hold on to bits of information and spark up a realm of thought that others may not have opened their mind up to is extremely appealing to me, and I feel as if there is a lot of potential for that throughout this course.

I am Raymon Saran, a second year student studying sociology at UBC. I used to be big into sports, but now I’m more into the arts side of things, besides exercising. I grew up in Surrey, with a heavy interest in basketball after my brothers and father, but slowly transitioned to music after taking piano lessons for about 12 years. Near the end of my elementary years I began composing on the piano, and halfway through high school I started producing music electronically through software. Now I have put myself out there as a musician/producer/artist, which has pretty much taken all of the free time I have. Making beats, recording vocals – it just puts me at peace. You can find me @8krayzie8 on Instagram or NomYar on all places you can find music, even YouTube. <- shameless plug haha. I also like to write stories, poems, even just in my personal journal, so the dislike for reading doesn’t really pair well. I don’t want to read, but want others to read my work? Ironic. I take a deep interest in self-reflection and expression and feel like music and writing allow me to put my own spin on it.

When it comes to my expectations for this course, I am hoping to find some literature that I enjoy and for this course to unlock my mind to some new trains of thought and maybe extend me into the world of reading. I don’t have any specific knowledge on Romance literature so for now I am all ears and ready to dive in. However, I do believe that I will end up taking a liking for this course, even though it may not so much be for the reading, but for putting me through an experience that may be outside of my comfort zone – being surrounded by literature.

This first lecture has brought my hopes up, from thinking this class would be boring and nonstop reading to a journey of understanding. I actually found the goals for this course enticing, almost like a challenge, to search for something deeper than these texts as Romance literature, but if they have a further connection. Anyone can read just to read, but putting a background purpose behind it all has pulled me in to stay. Will the effect of these Romance texts hold discussion among one another? I guess we’ll be the judge.