Week 5 – Laforet’s “Nada”

“Nada” has an apocalyptic, oppressive, and hungry atmosphere. Our narrator, Andrea describes her family members as “ghostly women” (pg 6), as “elongated and somber” (pg 7), as “perverse people” (pg9) and her uncle Juan’s face as a “skull” (pg 6). These characters all seem to be destroyed and hollow after the war. Even the house is described like it is a haunted house. The house is symbolic of the demolished city of Barcelona after the war and the family members living inside it represent the social and political ramifications. Within this house, Laforet does a great job at creating an atmosphere of hunger. In between narrative flow there were interjections from Andrea describing her hunger, for example when she holds Gloria who is crying after being abused by Juan, she describes wanting to eat her neck (pg 107). Andrea’s family are all starving and malnourished, reflective of Franco’s regime, which was described as ‘the hunger years’. As the story goes on, this hunger gets more desperately evident.

Given that this story finds its context in Spain, post-war, during Franco’s dictatorship, I was reading with the assumption that the author was writing under a period of censorship and inhumanity. Considering this, I was reading into how each character may serve to represent something politically significant. Andrea’s aunt Angustia’s is an authoritarian and oppressive character, perhaps she is supposed to symbolise the authoritative dictatorship that oppressed Spain. Andrea even describes feeling “oppressed, as if I were under a sky heavy with storms” (pg 16) when describing her Aunt’s strict and threatening care. Additionally, her name, Angustia, in Spanish translates to “anguish”, completely reflective of her character, and therefore also reflective of the authoritarian atmosphere of Franco Spain. Juan, Andrea’s uncle, seems to represent to me the patriarchal and violent nature of the dictatorship. Juan beats and abuses Gloria several times throughout the story and is described to be a hot-tempered and scary man. His purpose to me is to symbolise the fear of violence and brutality under Franco’s dictatorship, which is also reinforced by his name, Juan, a popular Spanish name, suggesting that his character may be representative of many Spanish men and/or Franco, during this violent and desperate time. Gloria is heavily demonized, specifically by Aunt Angustias, but also the other family members too, as an “evil serpent”(pg 81) and “the snake woman” (pg 81), for her sexual exploits. To me, her treatment from the family reflects the oppressive nature of the dictatorship that did not encourage sexual agency or liberty. Gloria is a progressive character that highlights the conservative society they find themselves in. Roman, I haven’t quite formulated an entire thought on yet, his character is more complex to me. This is my question to my classmates this week, what does Roman’s character and his suicide represent to you? Considering that I have analysed Andrea’s family and her house as representative of Spanish society, I found Roman and Juan’s feuds, within the family house, significant because they seemed to symbolise the civil war. But if anyone has any further ideas about Roman himself I would love to hear them! 

While Andrea’s family members each reflect different elements of Spanish society under Franco’s dictatorship, it is important to consider the characters outside of the family and their purpose. Another name that stood out to me as holding significance was ‘Pons’, one of Andrea’s friends from university who introduces her to a “bohemian” (pg 127) group of people. Pons in Latin means ‘bridge’, which seems reflective of his character as he bridges her way out of her oppressive and impoverished family to a world of wealth and artistic freedom. Ena is definitely also a significant and complex character who represents overall to me the contrasting lifestyle of the rich under the dictatorship, but also hope, as she provides a sense of escape from poverty for Andrea. How did you view the outside relationships?

Sorry this was a long one, this book has so much to analyze! 

Standard

4 thoughts on “Week 5 – Laforet’s “Nada”

1. Wow, Anna, you’re really on top of your readings. Well done!

And I love some of your descriptions of the book… “an apocalyptic, oppressive, and hungry atmosphere,” “Even the house is described like it is a haunted house.” You’ve also really thought about the characters and what they may represent.

The character you’ve said least about, however, is Andrea. I wonder if that’s because she’s perhaps the most complex character, not easily reducible to a symbol. Or perhaps because, even by the end, she’s somewhat of an outsider, both within the house and in Barcelona as a whole. Or perhaps because, taking her distance, she’s more a story-teller than part of the story?

• Anna Mote says:

You’re right, I completely forgot to consider Andrea! I think her fresh eyes to the city provide the opportunity for a powerful description of the bleakness of the post war world. Her storytelling is powerful because she sees the dreariness of the city in the aftermath of the war without having experienced it herself. It was sad to see her slowly lose her excitement and slip into that dreariness as she spends more time in Barcelona. Her character represents the pervasive misery and bleakness of the post war years, seeping slowly into everyone.

2. Mackenzie Dewar-Pratt says:

Hi Anna! As the quotes you highlighted within your first paragraph, the imagery painted by the author within this novel is so brilliant at describing not only the emotional impacts of the war on people but also the physical impacts. To answer your question, I think the friendship between Andrea and Ena is one of the most important ones in the novel. I wholly agree with you that it shows how differently people from higher classes are impacted by the war. I was glad that Ena was able to pull Andrea out of her destitution and hopefully towards a better future.
    -Mackenzie Dewar-Pratt

3. Jennifer Nagtegaal says:

Anna – I really enjoyed your considerations on many of the characters, from their actions to the symbolism in their names. To further add to your question that you pose to your classmates about Román, I want to ask if there is any significance to all the trinkets he keeps and collects? To his musical talents (violin, piano …)? His hobbies including painting? Or how Andrea sees in him “an endless store of
    possibilities” (28)?