Just another UBC Blogs site

Conclusion

Hey everyone! 

So last blog post! This class has been quite an interesting class for me. At first, I recall being extremely concerned and overwhelmed because I was not sure what my reading capacity was. I was not sure what grade I wanted to contract for and whether or not I would end up regretting the grade I chose. Despite the initial confusion, however, it became easy to get into the rhythm of this class. I began to find a routine for this class. It was very much evident what was required and there was no anxiety involved regarding surprises or what to expect. It was also a strange feeling to set aside time to read a novel and it almost reminded me of my summers when I was younger. I am glad I was able to return to reading proper novels again due to this class. 

Regarding the selection of the reading materials, if I were to be completely honest, these are probably not texts that I would have actively picked up and read outside of this class. However, by experimenting with these novels I was able to understand more about my taste in novels. I think I really enjoy a conventional easy-to-follow narrative in a book. Despite this, I think I learned a little bit more about literature after this class because I was able to expand my understanding of how books can be written. Up till now, I was only aware of traditional novels but after hearing about those books where authors choose not to use the letter “e” as an example, I became aware that writing can be much more personalized and it is a form of expression. I was shocked by how authors can choose to handicap themselves and the different ways of conveying feelings that this can result in. 

It was also really cool to meet the author of The Trenchcoat and I am glad this class gave me an opportunity to do that. Meeting him made me realize that these texts that we read are drawn from actual experiences and that each line can have a significant intention. 

Overall thanks to this class I was able to walk away with a better understanding of the different expressions and meanings of literature. Traditional literature classes that I have taken have typically introduced me to new books but have not questioned what I consider to be literature. This class really provided a safe environment for me to question my beliefs on literature and experiment with literature. I can confidently say that my views on what literature means have changed after taking this class. On that note what is something new you guys learned or experienced after taking this class?

«