Agostino – Mommy AND Daddy Issues?

If you read my last blog post you may remember that I found The Shrouded Women quite anxiety inducing, for this weeks story I read Agostino by Alberto Moravia but if I thought last weeks story was “bad” (in the sense of feeling, not content, I quite enjoyed The Shrouded Women!) then this weeks story was worse. There was a discomfort that engulfed me throughout this story from start to finish. When I read that a theme in this book was sexuality I certainly did not expect it to be portrayed in this way. Although I must say it was interesting to read of it from this young innocent boy perspective, I feel like it’s quite “taboo” in a way for society and therefore an untapped subtopic within sexuality. I hesitate to say I enjoyed it (it was an interesting read but I didn’t quite enjoy it) just because of the fact that its sexual acts and concept through the lens of a young boy (A MINOR AS WELL), so to me it just feels wrong.

I noticed that throughout the story a word was changed in relation to his mother. Throughout the first part of the book Agostino’s mother is referred to as “his mother”, but I noticed that on page 44 she’s referred to as “The mother”. I thought this was more interesting as it takes away Agostino’s personal relationship with his mother as he learns more about the world and her, just by using one word. This happens throughout the book whenever his is upset/disgusted with his mother, it changes to “the” mother.

Again I feel as though this story objectifies women, it puts women’s sexuality almost as a thing to be ashamed of, through the way Agostino is in such disgust with his mother. On the other hand a bunch of young boys are running around naked having fun while their old man leader watches! It’s hard to say because it is literally his mother and we are only getting Agostinos sexually confused perspective. However I feel like this book really put women’s sexuality to shame.

I don’t think that there was ever a mention of Agostino’s father and I can’t help but wonder the effect of having a loving father figure would have on this story. Maybe Agostino wouldn’t be so surprised or repulsed about intimacy and sexuality if he has seen his mother with his father being affectionate. Maybe he wouldn’t have this strange thoughts of interest in his mother sexuality or maybe he would want to kill his father and have his mother for himself (a very Freudian concept)…who knows! I do feel like having the father present would change the trajectory of this story quite a bit. I even wonder what would happen if roles were reverse and his father was the only one present with no mention of his mother. Would Agostino be so horrified if he saw his father naked and on boats with women?

Question: How do you think a father figure would have changed this story?

4 Thoughts.

1. “I don’t think that there was ever a mention of Agostino’s father.”

He is very briefly mentioned… specifically, Agostino says that he is dead. Beyond that, however, we know nothing about him. Indeed (as I mention in the lecture), we really know very little about Agostino’s past, or his life back home in Pisa. Everything is concentrated in this brief holiday period.

2. Hi Avery! I thought your point about the word change from “his” mother to “the” mother was really interesting! It certainly emphasizes the distance that Agostino is trying to create between him and his mother as he is discovering new aspects about sexuality. In response to your consideration if the roles were reversed and Agostino saw his father naked and on boats with women, I think Agostino would have a very different perspective and be in awe of his father. I think it would be easier for him to envision himself in a similar position as his father and he would perhaps be inspired to do the same things as him.

3. Hi Avery, I definitely agree with your post here. Although this book explores young sexuality it is framed in this what seems like a inappropriate way. This unhealthy attachment to his mother and then seeing his mother in a sexualized manner felt very taboo for sure!

4. Avery,
    I did not catch the word change from “his” to “the.” That’s very interesting as throughout the story, Agostino’s views of his mother also changed. I think a father figure might correlate to Freud’s theory where Agostino would see him as a rival and start to hate him.