We are a 100% student-run club that manages the rooftop garden space and the community garden plots on the roof of the AMS Student Nest, the Student Union Building at the University of British Columbia. Founded in 2014, we are focused on creating community-minded experiences and opportunities for personal empowerment that also incorporate concepts of food justice and food security. We facilitate student and community capacity around food by producing food as sustainably as possible, and by hosting events and workshops that encourage interactions around food, culture, health, and sustainability. By engaging with UBC’s diverse community, we hope to provide an avenue for knowledge sharing that enables dynamic ways to approach food system issues.
- To grow and harvest food sustainably
- Develop and conduct food literacy workshops to facilitate conversations around food, culture, health, and sustainability
- To create an inclusive space for social engagement and opportunities to explore, learn, and actively take part in food system initiatives.
About the Rooftop Garden:
- Located on the rooftop of the AMS Student Nest, accessible from the 4th floor of the building.
- Main garden has 192m² of gardening space, enclosed by a fence; food grown within the enclosed area is for grown for sale to food outlets and the community.
- Community garden has 5 communal garden plots that exist outside of this fenced area; food grown within the community garden plots are reserved for use by club members who have signed up for a community garden plot.