Skip navigation

Three things that stood out  Type of knowledge  What makes these things stand out for you Evidence/how you would test someone on this (select one “thing” only!)
1 GOF experiment shows sufficiency while LOF experiment shows necessity Conceptual This is the biggest take home message of this course! This is the basis of all the examples we look at in class. Most experiments in developmental biology are either GOF or LOF and it is important to know what can be concluded from these experiments. Give a list of a short description of different experiments and ask the students what can be concluded from each experiment.
2 Homeotic genes are usually expressed collinearly in terms of location and time that it is expressed Conceptual I found this to be very interesting how homeotic genes can be expressed according to their position on the chromosome. There are many interesting and complicated regulation in Hox genes which also makes this “thing” stand out.
3 Transcription of a particular gene can affect the expression of nearby genes; the gene product may not necessarily be responsible for the effect. Conceptual I never thought of this concept before but after learning about it in class, it blew my mind. At first, I was confused how this could work but when I realized that the transcription complex for one gene may block the binding of another transcription complex for a nearby gene.