Good to Great

Yes, I’m going to borrow Jim Collins’ book title for the title of this blog post. And while it might sound cliché, I truly feel that the MM program took my career path, my personal life and my overall attitude and ambition from Good to Great.

Freshly graduated from the Faculty of Arts at UBC, before entering the MM program I was working as a bartender downtown Vancouver while deciding what my “real” job might be. I stumbled upon the MM program while researching UBC Law online, something I had imagined would always be on my post-graduate path. I am so happy that I chose the MM and Sauder.

The 9 months of MM were the most revolutionary in my adult life. Not only did I learn so much from the program courses and professors, but I also went through a major change in my personal life. I was so inspired by the energy, tenacity and drive of my fellow students that I knew I wanted to be around similar people in my professional and personal life. So much so, that Corey (a fellow MM student) and I started dating about half way through the program. We recently became engaged and have plans to marry in the summer of 2018.

Highlights of my time in the MM program include: our case study project on lululemon in Ann Stone’s marketing class, organizing events and social gatherings as part of the Student Exec, and delivering a successful pitch and business proposal as part of the CBP program.

I started working at L’Oreal only a few months after graduating from the MM program. I’m now coming up to my 5 year anniversary at the company, having worked on 2 brands across Western Canada. I would never have entered L’Oreal without the MM program and the help of the BCC. Thanks to them, I now feel more at home than ever at this organization and have my sights sets on a long career with the company.

I owe a huge thank you to all those around me in the MM community for your inspiration and setting me on this path! And to all current and future MM students, wishing you all the best, and hoping that you experience the same “Good to Great” transformation as me!

(Photo: Backcountry skiing with Corey, March 2017)

Written by Christine Frieght (Alumna)