A5 Wenting Yang

Items in a box where I collected my used art supply.

I picked 2 items in the kitchen and draw the texture I felt and sound I heard.

In Class Practice Process

A5: Using our hands | Vicky Cen

In class exercise

Leather card holder

Assignment

I drew three random items blind-folded. Then I annotated and analyzed them without blinds.

Blind-folded drawing

The cable has the bigger end (USB) and the smaller end (Lightning). I recognized the lightning port by touching which it is rounder and smoother than my other charging cables. I know it is in a loop but I don’t know how exactly the cable is curved.

This shows the feeling of thickness, softness and weight of the cable.

The second item is a lip balm. There is a rough part at the bottom designed to be easily rotated. Without looking at the drawing, I couldn’t know where I drew the lines. But I guess the lines communicate the rotating motion by accident. When I rotate it, it feels like I am pushing it out.

This is the balm or ointment surface.

The third item is a lock. The lock makes sounds even with little movements. When I was blind-folded, I was sensitive to sounds. Again, the “rotating passwords” part is drawn out of the place.

I couldn’t feel the difference between materials by touching, but I felt the different textures of the same material. Because I couldn’t see or feel the numbers, I couldn’t unlock it.

A5_Using Our Hands_Duncan

Blind drawings…something bumpy in a cardboard and plastic package and a ceramic bat? Redrawn from memory after the objects were taken away without revealing their identities.
The objects revealed. I pictured the bat as white and apparently less like a human baby. I had never seen the object before. I thought the floss would be something from the bathroom but did not figure out what.

A5- Using Our Hands

Katie Hunks

In Class Assignment: Draw an object based on observations made without sight

Examining the sound and feel of a camera-shaped piggy bank

Drawing a Mystery Object Based on Touch

Conveying the endless feel of the wire without being able to see the end
Representing the texture and feel of the object

A5: Using Our Hands

Berend Kessler

in class…blind awareness
in class…utility knife drawn blind
cat brush observed blind
brush analysis
brush analysis cont’d

A5 | Using Our Hands | Yette Gram

In class exercises

In class sketches of a mug, highlighting the parts that are most noticeable to touch.

Assignment

The following two sketches were of objects placed in a box, and chosen blindly. I selected an object, explored it by touch, and then returned it to the box before opening my eyes and beginning to draw. I recognized the first object (a portable speaker) for what it was immediately, but the second remained a mystery until after I had completed the drawing (the metal insert for the nose piece of a mask).