Long Practicum Week 4:

This week was also a short week due to the Pro-D Day. It was so nice to see my classmates during the Pro-D Day especially because we haven’t seen each other in over a month! It was a nice time to catch up and enjoy the sun together. We definitely need to fit more gatherings in our busy schedules because it’s so important to have that time to share experiences and reflect on our teachings with each other.

This week we began planting our sunflower seeds for science which was super exciting for the students and myself alike. It has been day 5 as of today and we are all patiently waiting for them to germinate! I really hope they all germinate and grow into little seedlings. It would definitely be a memorable experience. Moreover, I had an observation for my MindUp lesson which went very well and I was super pleased with that. However, I do still need to work on having more Brain Breaks and giving students opportunities to pair share their ideas and thoughts.

I am still having a difficult time handling situations where students have outburst or start crying. I am not sure how to deal with those situations on the spot especially if it’s during my lesson where I am trying to teach. Sometimes, I let the students take a breather in the hallway and then I go and talk to them afterwards. Even then, I am not sure of the best way to approach the situation and what to say to them to make them feel better. I try my best but unsure of how well I am handling it.

As I continue to add more subjects on my teaching list, I become more anxious for teaching 80%. It is approaching so soon and I just hope that I can be well-prepared for all the obstacles that will come my way. I look forward to all the new experiences and learning opportunities regardless of how nervous I am.

1 thought on “Long Practicum Week 4:

1. jonesrox

The weeks ahead will fly by. It is quite a transition going from part time teaching to a full load. Most TCs enjoy the increased load as the classroom runs more smoothly and they begin to feel more like the they have assumed the teacher role. It can be a little nerve wracking but is very rewarding as you further focus on and build your skills.