Week 7 – One Hundred Years of Solitude Part 1

This week’s reading has definitely been the most intriguing book for me so far. This novel, its many characters, and seemingly endless interwoven plots and backstories that are so odd (perhaps outlandish is a better word) are like nothing I have read and created an entirely new world with every page I read. I do, in part, attribute my ability to stay mildly afloat in this book to the fact I read the first half thus far with the audiobook (which I highly recommend if you have more of the book to read). I think that while I find this book compelling in a weird way, I would not have been able to follow along as cohesively if I had just read the words with my eyeballs; the audiobook added a big storybook element to my reading experience and I am grateful to have found it (bonus: the narrator has a lovely voice).

On to the content itself, which as I mentioned is so far-out from any book I have previously read. I knew that there were elements of repetition in this book, but the repetition of names had me questioning my own sanity. Why do people keep naming their kids after themselves?! Why does Aureliano have 17 sons all with the same name?! When Ursula mentions her frustration of having her children keep having kids with the same names, I at once agreed with her and then questioned the sort of meta(?) aspect of Marquez purposely a) naming his characters the same things and then b) having one of his characters mad at this fact. If I think about this too long I start doing mental gymnastics trying to figure out what Marquez wants me to think of the Buendia family and also him as a novelist.

In the lecture, it was asked if this novel is more a pleasurable lostness or an anxiety-inducing one, and I would have to say I found this first half to be a bit of both. The establishing chapters of the early family members really won me over because of how weird every family member is; gypsies, potions, eating dirt, making little orange fish — everything is so oddly specific you can’t help but embrace the family’s uniqueness. When the family began to have children and the war began, I got very anxious and wanted to give up truly understanding the ins and outs of Macondo. Who’s going to war? Why are we fighting a war? Who is whose child?

I was also very struck the frequent instances of incest that just … appeared. The repeated occurrences of sexuality between Buendia men and random women caught me off guard a couple of times, but when the incest began I was truly shocked; of course anything goes in Macondo, but sometimes I questioned the usefulness of such sexual interactions. And sometimes I just didn’t know if people were related or not; darn you Marquez!

Question: do you think the incoming railroad is a sign of transition for Macondo? Do you think it will bring the town to a new era, or will this be too modern and cause (even more) chaos in the town?

« »