as good as one can be job-hunting

Job Search

My goal was to obtain a full time opportunity by the end of summer 2022 in the beginning I embarked on working with Borealis AI on developing FIRST E.A.D. I have applied to approximately 270 roles now, however asI was focused on tailoring my resumes and cover letters to meet each job description I applied to. I failed to keep a record of my job applications, this became an issue as I started to apply to roles, and the website wouldn’t accept the application because I had already applied submitted an application for it last week.

Solution:

I needed to get a dataset of jobs available and the jobs I have applied for, and then use those datapoints to find jobs I haven’t applied to yet, and find roles that I have to follow up upon.

Jobs Applied Dataset

I realized most of my applications were followed up with an email confirmation of my application, hence I wrote an AppleScript that would extract

1. Date
    2. Content
    3. Subject
    4. Sender

From the application confirmation emails I have received, and add them to a database.

Open Roles Dataset

Many websites such as Whatjobs, ZipRecruiter and Careerjet have APIs that can be used to extract open positions in a csv format. Hence I obtained an open roles dataset.

Conclusion

Its a pretty impressive idea, I am surprised there is not an application that helps job seekers manage their applications without a commercial motive. Some bigger ideas I had for the app, is to have one app to manage your job applications, the job applications get tagged every week with a priority flag for follow-up. The applications that make the short-list get assorted into success piles and experience is matched with job description to recommend points to emphasize on in the application.

Results

After following up with a few firms, I realized that some firms have not begun short listing candidates and the others didn’t reply to the follow-up so I can only guess they are in the same boat as the ones that replied.

for the ones I applied to recently, expect a follow-up coming to you soon.