Consume Less, Think More

Posted by in Environment, Sustainability

Recently, while I was in the middle of reading one of my classmates posts about excessive packaging and sourcing information for my own post regarding a revolution in compostable takeaway cups (Reduce. Reuse. Grow.) I was hit with a terrifying realization. It is quite possible that, despite all the amazing new solutions and innovative new products that work hard to solve some of the problems humans have created since the industrial revolution, the only path forward will simply be to consume less.

This is a terrifying realization. There are many activities, products and energy sources that are necessary for me to live the lifestyle that I want. For instance the electricity I am using to write this blog post has to come from somewhere, and my weekend warrior ski touring adventure will definitely take some gas to get out there. Companies know we are terrified to give up our comforts so they position they’re communication perfectly to take advantage of our guilt. We know we should be consuming less, but if we buy that offset it’ll be ok and this product is the lesser evil so at least that’s good right?  If we continue to allow ourselves to be distracted by company’s attempts to justify our reluctance to consume less our planet will no longer be able to sustain human life.

This is a big step and of course you should still applaud yourself for recycling, and making the greener choice, but this is not enough. We need to be aware of our own behaviours and tendencies, because marketers definitely are, and no matter how sustainable the goals of the company, they are still trying to sell you something. Our biggest defence as consumers will be to become more aware of the messages being pushed at us, and how our motivations and desires are likely to react to them. So I urge you all to continue to be critical, ask the tough questions, and make responsible choices, not just to placate your worries but to create a positive impact in the world.

For a few tips and tricks to get your inspired to consume less check out 7 effective ways to consume less or the inspiring story of Lauren Singer. By no means a comprehensive list, or the only one of it’s kind but it’s not a bad place to start!