“Walmart, CSR reporting, and moral grey zones” Blog Post Review

In a recent buisness blog post by Chris MacDonald of canadianbusiness.com several interesting points about CSR, and what it really is are raised. Mr.MacDonald starts off by saying how he has recently read Walmart’s 2011 CSR report, and how even though it is all related to CSR ideas there are large “grey” areas that provide unethical business standpoints. He provides the standpoint while companies are trying to be socially responsible by operating there company in a fashion that includes CSR, there has been a lack of definition of what this really means. For example, included in Walmart’s CSR report is a statement saying they are pushing forth for the gold standard of “no child labour”, however, even though child labor is greatly discouraged in many parts of the world it is a necessity in some countries in order for children to stay alive. “Unethical as it is” says Mr. MacDonald, “child labour will not be rid of any time soon.

I think Mr. MacDonald brings up a very interesting point on CSR, and its current definition among businesses. I think the definition lacks clarity of what CSR actually is, and how it must be followed. CSR is interpreted by many to include ethical practices, but as seen with case of Walmart what is ethical somewhere may not also follow a company’s CSR goals, or obligations. In spite of this, I still believe CSR is very important and a trending idea for companies and corporations of today. I believe what many companies, and individuals fail to to realize is that CSR should not a be a strict set of rules, or guidelines, but rather a set of principles and theories that should be put into practice to varying degrees depending on the location, and goals of the company at hand.

CSR

22. November 2011 by thomasmoult
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment