Final Marketing Post, Reflection, and Thoughts!

First off, wowwwwww…… Quick semester!

Overall, I really did enjoy marketing with Tamar and really thought it was a much more engaging class then any other business course I’ve taken thus far. I enjoyed Tamar’s teaching style and the active participation that was encouraged. I really do feel it helped me to learn and kept me engaged in thinking of my own examples that I could share to the class, even when I hadn’t done all the assigned readings. 🙂

In regards to the video project I thought it was a good way to break away from the norm of business presentations, however, I’m not sure if it was very effective. In a business presentation a group is forced to prepare for different outcomes, scenarios, questions, and to gear the presentation towards the target audience. While the video still conveyed the overall same message we as a group struggled to “creatively” represent our company with an engaging that video that he hoped will capture our audience. I think like many groups we struggled to find the correct balance between creativity, information and effectiveness in conveying our message, while not trying to sacrifice any part. Personally, I don’t find presentations to be that stressful, but I know others do so this was a good way to break from the overall trend. I liked the change from normal presentations, but putting together a video is easily 10x the preparation. Each minute of video takes hours of coordination of team members, script writing, and editing which is much more then a presentation. If I must ever make another business video again I would definitely try to a have a script prepared a much earlier stage and formalize the process earlier as well.

Overall COMM 296 has a sparked a great interest in marketing for me personally, and I hope to continue to find out more. I would really like to get involved in sports marketing where I could take my past experiences to help create new ideas for a company and work closely with something that I’m passionate about. Thank you to Tamar for sparking this interest in me and for your dedication to teaching this course! Have a great SUMMER to all my classmates and professors!

03. April 2013 by thomasmoult
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment

RE: Angus Thiele’s “I#WantAnR8 Too!!”

Reading Angus’s blog post titled “I#WantAnR8 Too!!” really got me thinking! Ok ok….. Maybe its just because I’m like any other guy and am completely consumed by thought of driving an Audi R8 and thats what made be read it, but then I did think of it in a marketing sense!

Julie McCoy is a prime example of how consumers know best. And I don’t mean they just know the best brands, but rather know the best way to be reached. Audi is at the pinnacle of the “driving experience” with the R8 and much of the car world knows this, however, very few get to actually experience it. Audi reached out to their consumers and hopefuls on a much more personal level by letting Julie drive the R8, even if only for a weekend. This brought a huge amount of positive media to Audi, as well as really helped to strengthen their brand and overall image. Angus hit the nail on the head when he said “#WantAnR8 became such a successful trend because it stemmed from a brand connecting to an individual consumer, rather than them trying to reach the masses on a less personal level. However this individual experience that was then shared with the masses ended up connected Audi to many more than just Julie McCoy.”

I think more luxury companies need to do this! Meaning more luxury companies need to let your average median-level income consumers try out their products, or services, because you never know when good word of mouth will get around, or when a rich friend awaits!

Good job to both Angus and Audi! Hope both of us get to drive one soon!

#WANTANR8

31. March 2013 by thomasmoult

Swag, Swag, Swag….. Swagger!

In response to Seth’s Marketing Blog Post: “Swagger”

Is “Swagger” a real term now, or still a term most used in Urban Dictionary? Either way Seth Godin’s latest blog post, Swagger ,raises some great points on what it means to have said “Swagger” and what it can mean for you!

Even though I have little experience in marketing for large companies, or corporations, I know that the key to selling and earning respect is confidence. Portraying confidence had a drastic effect when I was selling Wakeboards, and Wakesurf Boards last summer in Calgary. If I aired a sense of confidence I noticed people were way more likely to listen and purchase the items I was selling. Seth’s problem is not with using confidence or swagger to portray a marketing message, or selling an idea or item, but rather with what happens when your cross paths with someone that has more SWAG then you?! If someone has more confidence then you Seth says to show all your cards, and let them know what you know. HOWEVER, never should you make up anything to appear that have more swagger then you actually. Showing the extent of your knowledge can be a key way to effectively market something and competition can bring out the knowledge in all of us. “Substance without swagger slows you down. But swagger without substance can be fatal.” This quote is my key takeaway from this article! One must learn how to use swagger effectively, myself included, but always be aware that if you carry the swag, but shouldn’t be someone is going to raise the flag!

VERY TRUE! Swagger is earned!

29. March 2013 by thomasmoult

Marketing Tactic: “Talk Less & Listen More”

In a recent article by David McLoughlin he states “to win at marketing;talk less and listen more”. When I first read the title I thought it to be counter-intuitive, but immediately realized my error after reading. Most of us are lead to believe that a marketing tactic should be actively promoting a product/service in a new and exciting way, while this does help to attract new customers and possibly revenue it is not always the most effective. McLoughlin says the goal of your marketing tactic should be to “amplify what’s being said about your company to promote your brand in an authentic and effective way.”
Customers are the best way to promote a brand, as they know it with first-hand experience. They can describe it in a way that others, like themselves, will be able to relate to and in turn help to bring more exposure to the brand.

I think this was a really good article that brings new light to a marketing tactic that is often neglected. It is very easy to call previous customers and clients and gather their feedback on your brand. If this feedback is positive continue the loop and promote your brand to others using good “word of mouth”! The customers know best, and know what they want. So why not relay this prospective customers, or hopefuls? This information and feedback can easily be relayed through social media outlets, or through any trusted source. Overall I think this was a well written article that conveys a good marketing message!

McLoughlin ends by saying: “If you talked to people the way advertisers talked to people, they’d punch you in the face.” An interesting quote coming from a promoter himself! Meaning talk to your customers through the ways that other customers have talked about you!

18. March 2013 by thomasmoult

“Labatt rolls out a Kokanee ad in the shape of a feature-length movie”….Brewskis!

Kokanee

Labatt has broken into a new segment of “content marketing” in Canada by releasing a full feature length film, The Movie Out Here, to  further advertise it’s Kokanee beer product. As Canadians we are used to seeing clever beers ads that often attempt to appeal to specific target markets. Whether its talking animals,sasquatches,crazy hockey fans, or your average beer drinking “bros” at home, Labatt’s “Kokanee ad in the shape of a feature-length movie” attempts to combine all marketing elements into a feature production for the masses!

While I’m not sure as to whether the content of a Kokanee Movie will be riveting, I am sure that it will be funny. Previous Kokanee ads have been some of the best beers ads over the past years, especially with the mini-ad serious they did involving the park ranger, and elusive Sasquatch. Labatt has found a way to engage fans with their previous advertisements, and have continued this trend of fan involvement in The Movie Out HereKokanee fans had the chance to try out for the film, as well as vote for feature bars to be included.  I do intend to see this movie when I have time, and am interested to see exactly how Kokanee was incorporated in the storyline.  If this proves to be a huge success for Labatt I wouldn’t be surprised to see other beer companies attempt to release further advertisement in the shape of full-length movies.

By the numbers Labatt has already seen a 6% increase in regional sales since the film’s release, and over 100,000  extra visits on the Kokanee website.

13. March 2013 by thomasmoult
Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , | Leave a comment

National Rifle Association (NRA) Unethical Marketing

Over the last week President Obama has instigated a battle with the NRA of America, due to his proposed “crackdown” on American gun control laws after the tragic Newton shooting. The NRA has always been pegged as an agressive marketer and advertiser for minimalist gun controls in the USA, however their latest video has sparked intense controversy across the country and even worldwide. The NRA’s newest video titled “Stand and Fight”(http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/341463) starts off with a scene of President Obama and his children, the question is then posed “Are the president’s kids more important than yours?”. The video then goes on to attack Obama and peg him as an “elitist” and “hypocrite” due to the fact that he disapproved of having armed guards in American schools, while his daughters receive 24/7 protection from the US Secret Service. This video blatantly crossed the line in regards to unethical marketing, and took a direct approach to attacking President Obama and his family. While American citizen’s may not agree with Obama’s proposed legislation on gun control, much of the country has taken to social medial outlets to resent the NRA video. The White House called the video “repugnant and cowardly”. While I agree that all children are equally important, using the President’s children in a national political debate is a prime example of an unethical marketing technique. The NRA has taken no heed from the bad media attention it has received and has continued to release a second video to further label Obama as an elitist. This video has also received bad media and political attention from many politicians, and iconic figures in American society.

In closing, I believe the “Stand and Fight” took an unethical approach to expressing the National Rifle Association’s views on President Obama’s legislation, in an attempt to gather support. I believe that the video was far too personal, and subsequently the NRA should remove the video and issue a formal apology to President Obama, the children of America, and most importantly Obama’s daughters.

21. January 2013 by thomasmoult

“Productivity gap growing with U.S.”

In a recent article by Barrie McKenna of “theglobandmail.com” he address the ever increasing issue of the productivity gap that is growing between the U.S. and Canada. The article outlines through a recent study that was conducted by the “Institute for Research on Public Policy” that Canada is lagging in research and development sectors when compared to other wealthy and developing nations of the world. Canada’s economy has been growing much faster then many other developed other countries recently, however, there labour production rate is not keeping up implying a lack of sufficient technology and adequate production techniques. The IRPP recommends that Canada do more to stimulate development in these areas by helping to create links between businesses, universities, and the government. They also recommend that Canada shift its resources that are being used in low areas of production to areas of higher production and more economic yield.

After reading this article I decided to do further research on the productivity gap in Canada, and came across a second article titled “Canada could produce more new companies with B.C.-style tax break”. I agree with the authors thoughts in this article which outline that many new productive Canadian companies need to have access to sufficient capital through all stages of their development. If the Canadian government provided tax cuts for companies, or individuals that invest a large sum of capital in emerging high-tech companies it would help bridge Canada’s productive gap with the U.S. These increased funds and capital for Canadian companies could help dramatically increase their productive methods through increased technology, and in turn help further strengthen Canada’s already strong economy.

23. November 2011 by thomasmoult

“Walmart, CSR reporting, and moral grey zones” Blog Post Review

In a recent buisness blog post by Chris MacDonald of canadianbusiness.com several interesting points about CSR, and what it really is are raised. Mr.MacDonald starts off by saying how he has recently read Walmart’s 2011 CSR report, and how even though it is all related to CSR ideas there are large “grey” areas that provide unethical business standpoints. He provides the standpoint while companies are trying to be socially responsible by operating there company in a fashion that includes CSR, there has been a lack of definition of what this really means. For example, included in Walmart’s CSR report is a statement saying they are pushing forth for the gold standard of “no child labour”, however, even though child labor is greatly discouraged in many parts of the world it is a necessity in some countries in order for children to stay alive. “Unethical as it is” says Mr. MacDonald, “child labour will not be rid of any time soon.

I think Mr. MacDonald brings up a very interesting point on CSR, and its current definition among businesses. I think the definition lacks clarity of what CSR actually is, and how it must be followed. CSR is interpreted by many to include ethical practices, but as seen with case of Walmart what is ethical somewhere may not also follow a company’s CSR goals, or obligations. In spite of this, I still believe CSR is very important and a trending idea for companies and corporations of today. I believe what many companies, and individuals fail to to realize is that CSR should not a be a strict set of rules, or guidelines, but rather a set of principles and theories that should be put into practice to varying degrees depending on the location, and goals of the company at hand.

CSR

22. November 2011 by thomasmoult

In response to “Appeal to Authority”

This post is in response to Kevin Wong’s blog post titled the “Appeal to Authority”.

Kevin Wong’s blog post titled “Appeal to Authority” is all about brand credibility, and how we as consumers seek to buy brands that we can relate to something recognizable, such as a celebrity, or with scientifically backed research per say. Kevin does a good job of highlighting the point that a company can add great value, and therefore sales to a product by creating a strong image backed by something like a celebrity endorsement.

Its disappointing to see that much of the modern world is so fixated on buying brands that are considered “socially acceptable” to wear, because a famous celebrity wore them, or one must buy this “new phone” in order to fit in, when there are so many companies, and brands that offer even more excellent products. I wish Kevin had added this to his post, and highlighted the fact that many companies that offer products that are more eco-friendly, more cost effective, and that have a better brand image do not get the recognition they deserve. We as consumers need to be less swayed by what brand images we see around us, and rather focus on looking for new brands, and brand images that can change the trends in what we buy, and how we live.

18. November 2011 by thomasmoult

In reponse to “We’re all H.U.M.A.N”

This blog is in response to Kasra’s blog post titled “We’re all H.U.M.A.N”.

Kasra’s blog post is a great commentary on a very innovative entrepreneurial idea for a new type of vending machine. H.U.M.A.N vending machines, developed by Sean Kelly, are a great idea and should help to replace the current existing vending machines all around the US, and Canada. Being an athlete, and someone who is health conscious I like to know the facts about what I’m consuming all day, as well as being able to consume alternative healthy-choices compared to chips, and chocolate bars. These new vending machines will be ideal for people in the same category as me, as well as everyone who is looking to buy a snack from a vending machine. H.U.M.A.N machines give the buyer information about the product before they buy it, and only offer healthy and nutritious snacks as choices. These healthy vending machines make it easier then ever for people to make health conscious decisions that are affordable, and easy to purchase without having to go out of there way, or down the hall. If H.U.M.A.N vending machines were to be placed on each floor in a large office building for instance, I think worker productivity would increase, as well as lower obesity of health related issues among workers.

I’m glad to see Kasra adopts the same view as me, as well as commend Sean Kelly and his perseverance to stick with his H.U.M.A.N vending machine idea, and hope to see implemented more widely in the future! As Kasra said H.U.M.A.N is “taking the world by storm, one vending machine at a time.”

Unhealthy vs. Healthy Vending (H.U.M.A.N)

17. November 2011 by thomasmoult

← Older posts