Marketing Tactic: “Talk Less & Listen More”

In a recent article by David McLoughlin he states “to win at marketing;talk less and listen more”. When I first read the title I thought it to be counter-intuitive, but immediately realized my error after reading. Most of us are lead to believe that a marketing tactic should be actively promoting a product/service in a new and exciting way, while this does help to attract new customers and possibly revenue it is not always the most effective. McLoughlin says the goal of your marketing tactic should be to “amplify what’s being said about your company to promote your brand in an authentic and effective way.”
Customers are the best way to promote a brand, as they know it with first-hand experience. They can describe it in a way that others, like themselves, will be able to relate to and in turn help to bring more exposure to the brand.

I think this was a really good article that brings new light to a marketing tactic that is often neglected. It is very easy to call previous customers and clients and gather their feedback on your brand. If this feedback is positive continue the loop and promote your brand to others using good “word of mouth”! The customers know best, and know what they want. So why not relay this prospective customers, or hopefuls? This information and feedback can easily be relayed through social media outlets, or through any trusted source. Overall I think this was a well written article that conveys a good marketing message!

McLoughlin ends by saying: “If you talked to people the way advertisers talked to people, they’d punch you in the face.” An interesting quote coming from a promoter himself! Meaning talk to your customers through the ways that other customers have talked about you!

18. March 2013 by thomasmoult
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment