Events

VOTE FOR YOUR NEW SECRETARY!

secretary-vote

Want a say in who gets to be the new SSA Secretary? Now’s your chance.

Read on to find out more about the candidates and then exercise your democratic right to vote for who YOU would like as your new SSA Secretary!

Lauren Hindley

“My name is Lauren Hindley, and I am a 4th year Sociology Major (Honours).

After working in the Sociology department as a Research Assistant for Dr. Roth over the summer, I have been inspired to continue making myself useful to the Sociology department and more importantly; my peers. I have been interested in applying to be part of the SSA for some time now, especially after reaping the benefits of the mentorship program, however the meeting times often clashed with my job as Marketing and Operations Manager for Prep101. Fortunately, the combination of a lightened course load, as well as a shift in my role at Prep101 has meant that I now am willing and able to volunteer my time. As an honours student, I hope to relish the opportunity to make new connections throughout the department, as well as help recruit more SSA members and be part of a dynamic team of peers. My work-learn R.A position has been extended to cover the fall semester, however this commitment is extremely time flexible, and ultimately means I’ll be available in ANSO building more often.”

Kacey Ng

“I would love to take on the role of the secretary for the coming 2016 semester!  It would be a privilege to work with students that are passionate about what they’re studying and willing to take action towards greater social change.  I believe I would fit the role of the secretary because, although I do not hold previous experience with the SSA, I would like to begin to get more involved with the students and faculty of the department.  In addition, I also have experience working as a secretary.  I have previously worked with the South Vancouver Lion’s Club in their affiliated student LEO’s club as their running secretary, providing me with the experience necessary to fulfill this role as a secretary with ease.

I am currently a third year student majoring in Sociology, however, I intend on pursuing the honours program in the following year.  I am currently working as a TA with the department and have experience writing research papers and attending conferences so I believe, even as a novice in the club, I would have something to bring to the table.” 

Kiarmin Shaban-Lari

“My name is Kiarmin and I’m a third-year Sociology transfer student from Capilano University.

At my previous institution I was part of many collectives, the Capilano Queer Collective being one, where we created a safe and comfortable space for people to socialize and exchange ideas in by hosting events and workshops on campus. I have great interpersonal skills bundled with experience promoting and organizing events, and am looking forward to exploring UBC and Sociology Student Association further. I LOVE working with people and I know how important it is to be part of an environment where everyone feels comfortable and involved, where learning is maximized, and great memories are made. 

Additionally, I was involved in the management of one of the JJ Bean cafes for the past two years, where I gained a lot of leadership experience and learned how to work with different personalities, while maintaining a positive and fun work place.

So here are the reasons why you should vote for me:

– I love working with people

– I have vast experience of hosting and organizing events,

– I’m reliable and punctual 

– I’m new to UBC and I need friends

– I have nice hair (ish)

– I’m fun to work with!”

Miriam Teich

“My name is Miriam Teich, and I’m a second year arts student at UBC. Being in second year, I don’t have a major yet, but I intend on either majoring or minoring in sociology during my time at UBC. I would love to join the SSA because I think it would be a great way for me to throw myself into arts at UBC. Last year, I made a tough decision and left sciences behind to switch faculties; grades-wise, I was doing fine – it was more a matter of being honest with myself (and my parents) about my true interests and goals in university. I’m happy to be here, and I know I can enthusiastically take on a position as secretary. I’m very focused and organized, and I’ve always been good at multi-tasking and managing my time – it’s really the perfect position for me.”

Priscilla Wong

“I am interested in the secretary position at the Sociological Student’s Association to make a contribution to my community by applying my knowledge and skills. Last summer, I was involved in a volunteer program teaching children living in poverty basic English in Cambodia. The experience had greatly impacted my values and since then, I have wanted to help the less privileged and to make positive differences in their lives. As a second year Arts student aspired to major in Sociology, I would like to take this opportunity to be more involved in the Sociology community at UBC as well as challenge myself in a new environment. Becoming a member of the SSA will allow me to explore sociology in a different light outside the classroom setting. In addition to my passion, I have a background in operations management, customer service and interpersonal skills as demonstrated through my relevant work experience as a supervisor at the Pacific National Exhibition. Continually, I have been actively involved at Canada Place cruise ship terminal in the pre-board screening process preparing various incident reports and responding to prohibited items. I strongly believe that I am a suitable candidate for this position as a secretary.”

Those are your candidates for Secretary. Now that you know a little bit more about them, go ahead and vote at this link: Vote for Secretary!