Events

Vote for SSA Exec Team 2019-2020!

Thank you to everyone who submitted nominations to run for the 2019-2020 Sociology Students’ Association Executive Team. Voting commences from March 18th to March 25th. Below are the bios of candidates and the position(s) they are running for.

Only students who are a major or minor in Sociology may vote in the SSA elections. Please submit your vote by filling out the following SSA Election Form!

1. Annette Cho — (Co-President & VP Social)
    1. Hello there! My name is Annette Cho and I am a third year Sociology major just returning from my year abroad in Edinburgh, Scotland. I have been a part of the SSA for the past 2 years of my undergraduate degree starting as a mentee in the Soci Squad and then later joining the team as their AUS Representative. I have always been very passionate about sociology but joining the SSA and working with like-minded individuals to put on events like Mental Health Workshops and Social Activism panels has taught me how much both sociology but also being a part of a community like the SSA means to me. This is why this year I am running to be the co-president along with Alex Chow, or the Vice President Social. Through these roles I hope to help create a stronger community within the sociology department as well as help both students and other execs foster and implement initiatives that they are passionate about.  I want to be able to give back to the sociology community as much as it has given me and inspire interest for the field in others which is why I am running.
  2. Alex Chow — (Co-president & VP Academic)
    1. Hi there! I’m Alex Chow, a third-year Sociology major. My love for Sociology began before university and has only continued to grow as I met passionate and like-minded sociologists in the SSA and the Sociology department. I started as a mentee in my first year and served as the VP Academic in my second year. This past year, I served as your co-president of the SSA. I was fortunate to lead and work with an amazing executive team to bring you events such as Talk Sociology, our annual networking event. I also advocated for and secured a seat for the SSA on the undergraduate committee in the department, giving the student body an additional voice in determining departmental affairs pertaining to us. This year, I hope to continue serving as your co-president of the SSA and will be running for the position with Annette Cho, who has been an incredible teammate and asset to the previous executive team. I have strong confidence in our ability to work with and lead the next generation of sociologists who will no doubt make a positive impact on our department and the world. I plan to continue working on improving faculty-student relationships in the department by working closely with faculty on various social and academic events and opportunities. I also intend to ensure that the SSA continues to cater to the diverse needs of students in the department by offering a wide range of events for students, whether they are looking for a career outside of university, striving for graduate school, or simply seeking a community to call home in UBC.
  3.  Astha Kumar (AUS Rep)
    1. Hello everyone.
      My name is Astha Kumar and I’m in the faculty of Arts (Batch of 2022)  and aspire to declare my major in Sociology complemented with a minor in Law and Society. I’m running for the position of AUS representative for the Sociology Students’ Association.
      My keen interest in the Sociology Student Association stems from my passion to understand, contribute and engage in the betterment of society. More specifically, I’m extremely passionate about engaging in a spirit of embracing difference and celebrating the luminous specificity of our unique backgrounds to create a unique mesh of identities that have the potential to seek greatness.
      Given the opportunity, I would like to do my two- penny bit in effectively communicating, forming strong connections with my peers and being a good team player in brainstorming and implementing fresh ideas between the AUS and SSA to work towards an inclusive, diverse and celebratory community. Two major things that I want to focus on is leadership building skills and youth empowerment programs through workshops and learning sessions to inspire the UBC community.
  4. Jennifer Vincent (VP Social & Logistics Coordinator)
    1. My name is Jennifer Vincent, and I’m a second year student pursuing a double major in Sociology and First Nations and Indigenous Studies. I would like to run for the positions of either Vice-President (Social) or Logistics Coordinator.
      I want to join the SSA because of the support and kindness I have received from many fellow sociology students I have met this year, and I believe that being involved in the SSA would be a good opportunity to pass along the same goodwill I have received onto other students. Additionally, I believe that getting to know fellow sociology students has significantly increased my passion for the subject. I think that as a member of SSA, I would be incredibly motivated to increase interconnectedness with the goal of increasing students’ passion for the field.
      I would be a good candidate for either of the above roles given my extensive experience in managing people, organizing events, and working in group settings. Since coming to UBC, I have been incredibly involved with TSC Sailing, a student-run sports team that competes throughout Canada and the U.S., having served as the Athlete Council Representative and Fundraising Officer in my first year, and this year as the Marketing and Communications Officer. Additionally, this year I served as Vice President for the Northwest Intercollegiate Sailing Association, the district in which our team competes.
  5. June Lam (Media Specialist)
    1. Hello there! My name is June Lam and I am currently a second-year student planning to double major in Sociology and Political Science. I would love to be in a position where I get to work with like-minded peers to foster a sense of community and build meaningful relationships within the department. In connection with what I can bring to the SSA, my background includes digital marketing, communications, graphic design, and photography experience. I have also led marketing campaigns, developed social media plans, and designed websites for multiple school clubs and non-profit organizations across the Lower Mainland. By joining the SSA, I hope to offer my skills to the team and bring an eye-catching new look to the SSA’s presence.
  6. Mark Ding — ( Co-President & VP Academic)
    1. My name is Mark, my major is in Sociology, and I am going into my final year.
      I want to Join the SSA because Sociology has been an important part of my life in the past three years, and I want to be more involved with the department and my peers. The positions I am most interested in are the VP Academics, and Co – President. I have experience running a start-up company, working with professors as research assistants and teaching assistants. For the Role of VP Academics, I believe my experience of applying to graduate school and working with various professors at UBC will help students who are considering to go into academia. For the role of Co- President, I believe working for the SSA as VP External for the past year has given me a good understanding of how the association works. My experience with working in a public relations company and running a startup business has given me the necessary skills to interact with different agencies and peers in a professional way. One of my jobs as a co-founder of the business was to coordinate between my two other co-founders, they grew up in different parts of the world and have different values. I enjoy working with others, even if they may be from different backgrounds and there is conflict.
  7. Morgan McCulloch — (VP Social & Treasurer)
    1. My name is Morgan McCulloch and I’m a third year Sociology student (declaring end of semester) planning to minor in Economics. I’m looking to be a part of the SSA team as VP Social because I’ve seen first hand the great things that it has accomplished and what it provides for the students of the sociology department as well as UBC. Being a part of the mentor/mentee program was an amazing experience for myself and I met so many wonderful people that helped create a better UBC for me. I believe the SSA creates a welcome space and I want to be a part of that and help support my fellow Sociology majors through their degree. I offer the SSA my passion for the Sociology which will show itself in the hard work I will put in. I would love to continue to build the mentor/mentee program and help students navigate through Sociology. Having social mixers that combine a fun event with the opportunity for Sociology students to get to know their mentors and to learn about Sociology is my goal. Given the opportunity I would pour my love for Sociology into my position.
    2. My name is Morgan McCulloch and I am a 3rd year Sociology student (declaring end of semester) planning to do a minor in Economics. I would like to be considered for the position of Treasurer for the SSA as I believe I would be able to help keep their finances organized and proper. I have developed my personal finance schools over the years and been quite successful. I’m looking to expand my skills and would love to be helping one of my favourite organizations at UBC. The SSA has been one of the best organizations at UBC for myself. It helped me understand and learn so much about what Sociology is and what I can do with a Sociology degree. I want to be able to continue this for other students who who like guidance like I did. I offer the SSA my meticulous care for finance and my love for Sociology. Most importantly I offer my positive and assiduous attitude.
  8. Shirin Zohrabi — (Tresurer & Secretary)
    1. Hello! I am Shirin Zohrabi, a second – year student, majoring in sociology with a minor in law and society. I would like to join the SSA because it would enable me to expand my degree from outside the classroom, and connect with like-minded individuals in an environment where we can freely express our ideas and help plan events in hopes of strengthening the relationships between each other, all sociology undergraduates and the department itself. In terms of what I can bring to the SSA, my position as a floor manager at a retail sales store has given me extensive experience with appropriately handling large sums of money. This job has also heightened my organizational, and multi-tasking skills as I have had to learn how to effectively manage a busy workplace environment. Furthermore, I have past experience with organizing fundraisers for non-profit organizations, which has helped me in improving my leadership skills and figuring how to budget and control funds in the most efficient and beneficial way. I believe I am a well-qualified candidate for the treasurer or secretary position and hope to be voted into the SSA as I would like to positively contribute to the sociology program here at UBC
  9. Zoë Tomaskova-Redfield — (VP Social & VP External)
    1. Having served on the Sociology Student’s Association for the 2017/2018 school year, I have a year’s worth of experience serving the undergraduate sociology community. I previously helped organize sales and advertising for merchandise, and highly enjoyed helping out at all the events held during the 2017/18 year. I previously served as co-chair for the ANSO gala in 2018, working with the anthropology student’s association to organize the end of the year event. I would bring experience and fresh ideas to the role of VP Social or VP External, and would serve the undergraduate community with enthusiasm. Not only do I have experience with SSA in years past, but I will bring energy, enthusiasm, and great ideas to the 2019/20 SSA next year!

One reply on “Vote for SSA Exec Team 2019-2020!”

Morgan has my vote! Great leader, very level headed, someone I trust. Will do great!