Elections 2017/2018

Welcome to the SSA’s elections page! The SSA elections for 2017/2018 have BEGUN. Check out this page for information about the election rules, the candidates running this year, and (most importantly) to VOTE! Keep reading to find out more.

————————————————————————————————————————

THE ELECTION RULES:

1. The nomination period runs until March 10th, which is the deadline to apply to run.
  2. The voting period will run from March 11th – March 16th.
  3. Voting will be available online; You must be a Sociology major or minor to vote.

The duties of each executive position on the board of the Sociology Students’ Association are listed below according to the constitution.  Newly elected executives can expect to see guidance and direction from the previous team during the transition period. We will announce new elected members at year end BBQ event!

*Executive members must be able to stay for the full school year (this precludes participation in Co-Op, Go Global/International Exchange, etc).

THE VOTE:

CLICK HERE TO VOTE

THE POSITIONS:

Scroll through this section to read up on the responsibilities of each position!

Co-Presidents

• Number of positions: 2

Vice-President: Academic

• Number of positions: 1

Vice-President: Social

• Number of positions: 1

Treasurer

• Number of positions: 1

Secretary

• Number of positions: 1

Media Specialist: Communications

• Number of positions: 1

Media Specialist: Graphics

• Number of positions: 1

Arts Undergraduate Society (AUS) Representative

• Number of Positions: 1

THE CANDIDATES:

Here are the candidates at a glance:

Co-Presidents: Veronica Cho / Miranda Gregory / Kiarmin Lari / Ishmeet Mahajan

Vice-President Academic: Alex Chow / Ishmeet Mahajan

Vice-President Social: Alexa Atherly / Annette Cho / Miranda Gregory / Kiarmin Lari / Paige Lougheed

Treasurer: Priscilla Wong

Secretary: Alexa Atherly / Kacey Ng / Zoe Redfield

Media Specialist Communications: Veronica Cho / Paige Lougheed / Zoe Redfield

Media Specialist Graphics: Natalie Morris

Arts Undergraduate Society (AUS) Representative: Annette Cho / Alex Chow

And here are the candidates’ biographies (in alphabetical order according to last name), position order is based on preference: have a look!

Alexa Atherly

Position(s): VP Social & Secretary

My name is Alexa Atherly and I am a second year student, working towards a BA in Sociology. I wish to join the SSA and hereby submit my application for the position of Secretary or Vice-President – Social in the 2017 – 2018 SSA Elections. My passion for Sociology is deep-rooted, fueled by my early exposure to varying social and economic structures around the world. Throughout most of my developmental years I have lived in many countries including India, South Africa and Kenya, and have developed a strong appreciation for understanding other cultures and contributing towards the global community in meaningful ways. I feel that through my past experiences, as well as the theories and practical skills acquired here at UBC, I am uniquely positioned to offer an eclectic and open-minded perspective to the SSA team. I take pride in being a part of this vibrant UBC community and would love an opportunity to contribute towards enriching it further. The SSA’s mission to build, empower and connect significantly aligns with the ways in which I wish to contribute. I am excited by the prospect of joining the SSA and look forward to an enriching and gratifying experience.

Annette Cho

Position(s): AUS Representative & VP Social

Hi, my name is Annette Cho and I am a first year student hoping to major in sociology and minor in GRSJ. I am currently part of the SSA as a mentee in the Soci Squad and it has been one of the best experiences I have had at UBC so far. This upcoming year I hope to further involve myself in the sociology community by being your next AUS representative or VP Social. Sociology is something that I have become extremely passionate about and being able to represent and work with people who share this interest is something that would make this experience all the more worthwhile. The idea of belonging to a community of individuals who are as driven and hard-working as I am and applying myself in new ways as part of this team is one of the many reasons why I want to be a part of the SSA this year!  

Veronica Cho

Position(s): Co-President & Media Specialist: Communications

It took quitting Sauder, becoming an English teacher in South Korea, and living in South Africa to discover my passion for sociology. Through these experiences, I realized that I have an insatiable passion for how people and societies work, how inequalities persist, and how we can go about fixing systems of oppression to create more inclusive, equitable communities. I want to join the SSA because I want to be part of a team that fosters meaningful connections, empowers students to create social change, and provides opportunities to truly maximize an education in sociology. I was featured in the Ubyssey in an article titled, “Veronica Cho goes from Sauder dropout to globetrotting philanthropist,” and that pretty much sums up my experiences before I came back to UBC to study sociology. I was the South Korean delegate for G(irls)20 Summit, featured on Forbes for my work on gender equality, wrote a letter to G20 leaders on Huffington Post, launched a career management and mentorship program in South Africa, travelled to San Francisco for World Merit, and participated in the British Council’s Global Changemakers program. I want to bring all of my leadership experiences into the SSA to make sure that the next generation of brilliant, curious sociologists are equipped with the resources and community-backing to make their degree all the more worthwhile.

Alex Chow

Position(s): VP Academic & AUS Representative

My name is Alex Chow, and I am currently a first-year planning to major in Sociology. Since before entering university, I have always intended to major in Sociology as I find the nature of human behaviour as individuals and as a collective society fascinating, and I have stayed true to this belief. Along this journey this past year, I have been fortunate to meet like-minded and passionate sociologists in the SSA and it would be a great honour to work with and for students interested in the wonders of Sociology. Though I may still be in my first year, I believe that my passion for academia has led me to discovering many research, teaching, and career opportunities that are relevant for all students. As the Vice-President: Academic, I aim to discover, develop, and share these opportunities from the Sociology department with interested members. As the AUS Representative, I hope to be able to bring the SSA closer with other departments through more collaborative projects to increase the exposure of the SSA to the larger student body.

Miranda Gregory

Position(s): Co-President & VP Social

Why I want to join the SSA:

I want to join the SSA because I want to reciprocate what the SSA has done for me the past year for other students. I was extremely nervous transferring from a smaller university to UBC, a city in itself. The SSA has organized events and programs, the Soci Squad, that has made me feel part of a community. I want to help continue the SSA on the positive path it is on.

What I will bring to the SSA:

I believe I would be a good co-president for the SSA. I am a naturally extroverted person, which will be helpful when planning social events. I am passionate about continuing to create a community for sociology students. I want UBC sociology students to know that there is a community specifically for them and a place where they are always welcome. If I am elected as co-president I will create a program to help undergraduate students feel more comfortable approaching professors, whether it be to ask them questions regarding a course, or possible research assistant positions. In addition, I will try to get a mandatory First Nations class for all undergraduate students at UBC.

Kiarmin Lari

Position(s): Co-President & VP Social

My name is Kiarmin, and I’m a third year Soci student. I love working with people and I know how important it is to be part of an environment where everyone feels comfortable and involved, where learning is maximized, and great memories are made. That is why I want to get involved with SSA in positions Co-President or Vice-President: Social.

I’ve been involved in management of one of the JJ Bean cafes for the past three years, where I gained a lot of leadership experience and learned how to work with different personalities, while maintaining a positive and fun work place. I’m passionate about social justice and human rights, education and empowerment, movies and music.

So here are the reasons you should vote for me:

– I want to make things fun for you

– I love working with people

– I have outstanding skills hosting and organizing events,

– I’m reliable

– I’m fun to work with

Paige Lougheed

Position(s): VP Social & Media Specialist: Communications

My name is Paige, and I am a fourth-year student majoring in sociology. I am passionate about joining the SSA because I love mentorship and I find the possibility of helping students realize the full range of options available to them through the sociology department to be very exciting! I am qualified for the role of Vice-President: Social because of my extensive experience working as Residence Advisor in both Totem Park and Orchard Commons residences. Through my experience as an RA, I learned to build inclusive communities conducive to academic success. Additionally, I will bring a positive attitude and project coordination skills to the role of Vice-President: Social. Thank you for your consideration!

Ishmeet Mahajan

Position(s): Co-President & VP Academic

I am a third-year student at UBC majoring in Sociology and minoring in Economics. I have a strong interest in the social sciences and am pleased to have the opportunity to study my passion at a prestigious university. I am seeking to increase my involvement on campus and feel that the Sociology Students Association would present and ideal opportunity for this. If accepted, I look forward to interacting with other like-minded individuals in the association and bringing my enthusiasm and positive attitude with working with the entire team. I aim to connect with other students studying sociology and help foster a stronger community within the association, department and all its members.

Natalie Morris

Position(s): Media Specialist: Graphics

Hi! I’m Natalie Morris and I’m a fourth year Sociology major with a minor in German Studies and I would really love to be your Media Specialist for Graphics. I have a solid interest in graphic design and have done some minor freelancing in the past. I have been interested in joining the SSA for a while and have finally decided to jump in this year. I like what the design has been for the last few years, but if I get elected I would bring more focus to the students in Sociology by featuring them in student profiles and during events. I think that way the SSA could become a bigger part of Sociology students’ experiences at UBC. I’m looking forward to the year ahead and hope to see everyone at SSA events soon! 🙂

Kacey Ng

Position(s): Secretary

I am already currently the secretary for the SSA and I believe I am qualified for the position. In my year with the SSA, I have learned the value of working together as a group to create new events and opportunities for undergraduate students in the sociology department. (and beyond!)

I am currently a third year student but that has not stopped me from being involved around the department. You can find me in the TA peer advising office, frantically writing conference papers or running around campus to listen to public seminars. It would be an honour to serve as the secretary for the coming year!

Zoe Redfield

Position(s): Media Specialist: Communications & Secretary

Hello! My name is Zoë Redfield, and I would like to run for the position of media specialist communications for the SSA elections. I am currently a second year with an intent on majoring in sociology. I have experience running social media and communications portions for both clubs and non-profit organizations in the past, and writing news articles and blog posts as well. I would be so excited to join the SSA and effectively utilize the club’s social media to inform members and the UBC community about sociology and SSA events. In addition, I have served as secretary for numerous clubs in the past, but my passion for organization and effective communication would make me a perfect candidate for the SSA position. My commitment to the effective collaboration and communication both externally and internally in the club, and my skills in note-taking and creating surveys and databases give me all the assets for secretary of the SSA.  I would do all I can to help any potential sociology majors or minors like myself with any questions or concerns they might have, to make their experience in sociology the best it can be. I have so much enthusiasm, passion and excitement for sociology, and I would love to be able to become a part of the SSA! Thank you for your consideration!

Priscilla Wong

Position(s): Treasurer

Hi, my name is Priscilla Wong, and I am running for the position of treasurer for the SSA in the upcoming semester. As a second year arts student aspiring to major in Sociology, I would like to take this opportunity to become more involved in the Sociology community at UBC as well as challenging myself with a role I have never played before — that is, as a treasurer but more importantly, as an active member of a club striving to create an enhanced experience for students in a welcoming environment through building, connecting, and empowering. By acting as the treasurer, I hope to work with the team in bringing in more fundraising and charity events that would not only benefit the members of the club but also to give back to the community. Despite my limited financial knowledge, with the only relevant experience of my role as accountant for the student-ran convenient store during high school, I am enthusiastic to learn. Also, my experience as a research assistant at Access Pro Bono and a barista in a local cafe has allowed me to develop strong communication, organization, and management skills necessary for the position of treasurer.