Week 1

If you’ve ever stereotyped about South Africa, or drawn up a preconceived picture in your mind of what it might be like, I’ll admit I had done the same. But the first thing I had to do when I got here was throw it away. Now that that has been settled, I’ve been able to start delving into the culture, the people, and the “real Africa” as many have quoted.

My first week in South Africa has been awesome! I’ve seen so many historic things in Soweto and Jo’burg including the Apartheid Museum, which was incredibly insightful and deep. I saw a young school girl start crying as she looked at some of the more graphic pictures displayed.

Then we voyaged up to Phalaborwa in the Limpopo province where the drive took much longer than anticipated but the unreal music kept the mood excited. The rest of the time here has kind of been a blur…I’ve seen the other student participants a few times and have been spending a lot of time with my host family. Right now I’m hanging out with my little sister, Tebogo and my little brother, Ngwato.

My work placement is still a bit uncertain at the moment, but I know I will be working in the Enterprise and Tourism Department of the Palabora Foundation, which is something I’m really excited about. I’ve been spending the majority of the week out of the office, because my superintendent Mark has insisted on showing Monica and I all the sights around Phalaborwa.

I’ve also seen a ton of animals in our off roading expeditions including elephants, monkeys, wild cows, goats, donkeys, baboons, and so many crazy coloured birds! If that’s what I see just in the streets, I can’t imagine what Kruger will be like!