Bird Attack

This past weekend the South Africa group met up with the Swaziland group to have our in session workshop. We got to stay at an amazing little lodge right on the boarder of Kruger National Park that has quite the scenic front yard. There is this large deck situated right on the river where we were all able to look out and see elephants drinking from the river, birds flying, hippos living their completely lazy lives and snippets of other animals.

The point of the weekend was to reflect on what we’ve done so far and to design what we plan to do for the rest of the project. As much as I anticipated a weekend of having to talk about my feelings, I actually found it an invaluable component to the experience I’m having. It was good to understand what everyone else was experiencing and how they are overcoming their challenges and celebrating their small victories. The weekend really gave me a regained focus and the confidence to push forward a plan on social media. I know I said “I never thought I’d come to South Africa and work on social media,” but it is something I’m excited to see develop. I also found out I will be observing and evaluating a project that is basically seeing where we can help out at a lodge called Sassavona.

As for the title of this blog, yes, I was attacked by a bird while sitting inside at the Rio Vista Lodge this weekend. I was in an interview with Gina and a bird came, landed on my head, got stuck in my bun and started flapping its wings around and hitting my face with its wing slaps as I rolled around on the coach in a fit of minor horror. Then I almost peed myself laughing.