PHG Creative Response

***I FORGOT TO TAKE PHOTOS***

HOPE YOU ALL HAD A CHANCE TO LOOK THROUGH IT, IF NOT I’M SORRY FOR FORGETTING TO TAKE PHOTOS!!!

I promise it’s pretty cool >o< !!!

During my time working at PHG cataloguing their archive, I was exposed to many different books, magazines and picture catalogues. There were so many interesting gems in their collection and I even came by familiar names; VISA Professors – Gu Xiong and Dana Claxton. I really tried to think about how to represent my experience and I thought that it would be appropriate to have the piece resemble something I’ve catalogued. However, that led to the struggle of what kind of book or booklet I should make and what content I should include.

After a bit of thinking and looking at the stuff I collected from the gallery I came upon the auction catalogue PHG made for the Polygon Gallery fundraiser. I thought “bingo!” I could use that as a starting point. I looked through the catalogue once more and thought about how it would work perfectly as the vehicle to represent my idea; creating a visual of my experience of being exposed to so many difference artworks by so many different artists through cataloguing. After that, I thought that maybe I could turn the catalogue into an art piece itself that SEEMED like a simple catalogue till you opened it up to find many different layers from cut outs (using an exacto knife).  I thought that it would illustrate the “unexpected/surprising” aspect that I experienced when I looked through some of the books I was cataloguing.

The actual process of creative response piece was aimed at keeping the parts I found interesting on each page while cutting out the parts I did not need. Through that process, I was able to create a layered effect that gave attention to the highlighted parts of each page all at once even without flipping through.

I thought that this response was also a way for me to help PHG advertise the new Polygon Gallery that they’re building as well.