A Reflection on Hard Choices

“Why are you choosing to live a harder life?”

This has been a question repeatedly posed by my father regarding my decision to transfer from Sauder to Science, a contentious topic in my household. For him and many other members of my family, a degree in business with Sauder written on it in gold calligraphy followed by a career in accounting is the epitome of success. It is a safe and “easy” route, with an abundance of job opportunities and relatively few required qualifications.

In contrast, my desire to transfer into Science with vague ideations of attending medical school (I purchased MCAT books a few months ago; most of them are still in mint condition) seems as flippant as a toddler scrawling outside of thick black lines in a colouring book. I have been repeatedly told that I am throwing away an opportunity for which many others would kill. Judging by the number of hands in the air at a mentorship session for twelfth graders when asked, “Who is applying to Sauder?”, I am, indisputably, enduring the dream of many.

Internally, as well, I am barraged with doubt over whether or not I will regret this ephemeral decision I made in my youth two, ten, twenty, fifty years from now, Sometimes, I am forced to wonder if choosing Science is a way of silent rebellion against my family’s traditional ideals, against their questions regarding my potential boyfriends rather than my academic or extracurricular work. When doubts like these seep in, I attempt to reaffirm the authenticity of my decision by making a list of what I hope to gain from my future career:

1. Opportunities to collaborate and innovate with others
  2. Opportunities to make a positive impact on the lives of individuals and, by extension, communities
  3. Opportunities to be involved in a globally connected field that transcends political borders
  4. Opportunities to be humbled by the accomplishments of others

Being involved in business, to varying extents, historically conflicts with all of these expectations. Perhaps I am biased and naive, but I intrinsically do believe that Science is the correct route for me, despite the ulterior motives that are suspected to be clouding my judgment. Getting accepted into medical school will certainly be challenging, but dragging myself through an unwanted degree for four years is simply impossible and unbearable.

2 thoughts on “A Reflection on Hard Choices”

1. That’s not an easy decision to make. How brave of you to pursue your dreams. And it seems like your have admirable reasons for wanting to pursue medical school. Best of luck!
    If it ever feels like you’re alone in the struggle, feel free to hit me up if you want to do a MCAT study session together. (Blog squad study session wooo)