An Insatiable Greed for Money

After reading one blog post of my classmate, Julia Amelio, regarding her blog post; Samsung copying Apple products, I must disagree with her about Samsung’s intentions.

I do agree that Apple is innovative and special. They create unique products that have an aesthetic feel towards them. However, the recent debate surrounding Samsung and Apple is just dumbfounded. I, for one believe that Apple is suing Samsung just because Samsung appears to be their no.1 competitor.

Apple claims that Samsung’s tablet was copied based on the design of their iPad. What is not known, however, is that the curved edges, black background and silver edge features of the iPad, has all been done before Apple on a tablet PC. There were many tablets with rounded edges and black borders before Apple, for example in 2010, a Chinese company created a model tablet PC called P88. Ultimately, they decided not to sue Apple even though they could have done it.

I admit that the Apple iPad is a revolutionary and great product, but it is not a new invention. The shape of a tablet is dictated by the screen and its rounded edges are to provide comfort. What I am curious to know is how did Apple get a patent for their tablet? In the most recent news surrounding this debate, Apple has been told to admit that Samsung did not copy their iPad.

I guess that kinda proves my point, right? 🙂

Author: Loh Wil Fred

First year student studying in the Sauder School of Business