Pre(tty) Fab(ulous) Residences

by Theo Van Vugt

I developed my system to have a range of implementation. Keeping the use of glulam columns and dimensional wood beams from the previous system, I wanted to explore the scale of prefab. I quartered my column and halved the number of beams originally used. The system that followed allows for partial prefabrication, where rooms are created with or without walls, with a pattern of exposed wood beams and columns emerging throughout living units. The system also encourages full prefabrication, where columns containing full 3mx3m units could be bolted together at the digression of the owner. If there was a want for a two-bedroom unit, two bedroom pods would be used. Three-bedroom, three pods, etc. The form itself coincided with the site. Looking from the west, the 21-storey structure related to the nearby Binning Tower and The Laureates Tower, while gradually stepped floors on the east side allowed for maximum exposure to both the sun and Pacific Spirit Park. Meanwhile, outdoor community spaces every five floors gave residents places to sit and enjoy the splendour of Pacific Spirit park, while engaging with those who lived with them.