Octa Pavillion

By Jenna Ratzlaff

This project looks at the possibilities of a wood hinge joint at a larger scale and the ways of adapting its use for a tree viewing pavilion. I have designed three small scale pavilions that take the visitors of the 400 year old tree, at Evans Lake Forest Education Centre, on a journey. I designed a secondary, slower path throughout the space where I have positioned my three pavilions. The first pavilion allows the visitor to focus their views on the base of the tree as it is located quite close. The second pavilion is moved farther away from the tree in order to focus the views on the base and mid area of the tree. Lastly, the third, and the largest, directs the views to the tree as a whole and is set back the farthest to be able to look up at the entire tree. Each pavilion is positioned at different angles around the tree and therefore allow for the visitors to examine every side of it.

The combination of the hinge joint and the octagonal members allow for these perforated curved shelters. To ensure protection from rain the square holes in the roof would be covered with a thin waterproof clear membrane (ETFE). Like the joint that has two members that fit into one another and then are locked in place by a dowel, the pavilion roof and floor fit together and are then fastened into a thick wood form in between them.

Seating is integrated into the form of the pavilion by positioning the octagonal members into a bench form.

From the beginning I was intrigued by the movement this hinge joint allowed for. In creating these pavilions I wanted to find a way to express this movement. I designed smaller play structures that would allow for the children to roll themselves up in the structure.