Christmas and digital media

As Christmas is just around the conner, every retailer tries their best to catch shoppers attention. The Canadian luxury retailer Holt Renfrew hopes to generate some traffic in store by setting up tranditional glamorous Christmas window display and Christmas marketing campaign. Holts is known for its glittery and incredibly detailed window displays and it has become the attraction point for the store.

This year, Holts also allows its shoppers in its Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, and Vancouver locations to be part of the holiday window display by partnering up with Samsung Canada. Shoppers can have their photos taken against the snow-capped mural and email their images by using a Samsung tablet. The photos taken in-store are also uploaded and put front and centre on a large Samsung flat screen display in one of the windows.

Nevertheless, shoppers can share their photo on Instagram and Twitter by hash tagging @HoltRenfrew and @SamsungCanada handles and enter a draw of gift card or Samsung products. They could also share status and images through retailer’s Facebook app. This type seasonal marketing campaign and the “participate-and-win” marketing strategy encourage more customers to get involved, and also create user-generated-content.

UGC played a big role in this marketing strategy. As I am an active Instagram user, I noticed a video of this holiday campaign on my news feed this morning when i was browsing. I found the video very entertaining and heart-warming because the scene and the music creates fabulous holiday atmosphere and reminds me that Christmas vacation is not far from here.

With help of digital and social media, Holts creates early holiday buzz and shares the holiday spirit. UCG helps to spread the words, enhanced shopping experience, and encourages participation and involvement.

This campaign only came up a couple days. I am curios to see how this marking campaign would evolve in the following days.