Chapter 6: Commerce, Coercion, and America’s Empire

Chapter 6 Commerce, Coercion, and America’s Empire touches on the deep history of the relationship between the United States of America and Latin America, and how colonization has significantly altered both these regions. The views on the American presence in Latin America are rather interesting, as it states they are often viewed as a violent oppressor or a noble savior. The US has participated in many conflicts and battles that have been faced in Latin America, although their position is almost always against to region, in some attempts to acquire territory. Which in fact they do acquire land, Porto Rico. It appears that the Untied States dominance is felt across the Latin America region, whether in fear or spite. Document 6.1 by Augusto Sandino, reveals a sense of nationalism, and pride for how far the nation has come that was once oppressed, but now flourished into a new stage of independence. His sense faith, and belief in his nations, is very evident I find, as he states, “I accept the invitation to the struggle and I myself will provoke it, and to the challenge of the cowardly invader and the traitor to my country I answer with my battle cry.” (199). This clear depiction that he is willing to fight for his independence and the pride of his country not matter the cost or the situation. I find this similar to a lot of the other documents in this textbook; they all seem to identify with similar feelings of pride in being a part of Latin America. I find this inspirational, as no matter the obstacles they face it appears that the people always faithfully stand by their nation, even if it puts them in an insecure place. The next document, 6.3 by Ariel Dorfman and Armand Mattelart shows the relationship between colonization and Disney. It shows the different levels of importance and treatment that are given to the people colonizing, and the people being colonized. It pushes the idea of a defined “lower class” should like to youth. Although, it appears that it shows the tensions that often emerged between the Europeans and the Indigenous place to the region. Although, the relationships that were shown by Disney were often misleading and far reality. Each interaction, between the Europeans and the Indigenous people in Latin America, from the documents that I have read so far have all resulted in some type of conflict, which in the long run lead to the independence of a nation.