Old Sock Drawer

a story to tell, a novel you keep in a drawer

Old Sock Drawer header image 2

#066: Scoping out Imagine Day…and cupcakes.

September 9th, 2009 by Mary Leong

Currently listening to: “Air” – Hair 2009 New Broadway Cast

I woke up yesterday morning and gazed out of the window of my 13th floor Gage Towers apartment* to see streams of tidily colour-coded first years traipsing across campus trailing behind MUG leaders with aptly-named signs. Then I took a mental moment to silently welcome them to a new adventure – and paused to think, “oh, the little ones!” And then realized that they were probably all taller than me. Nevertheless! I hope everyone had fun- it sure sounds like it, from what I’ve gathered! (Pep rally for the win!)

*We will talk about moving some other time. Suffice to say, I’m in one of the newly-renovated towers, with lovely hardwood floors, and it is all quite lovely indeed. And yes, I did forget a ridiculous amount of assorted items (toothbrush, Mary? Really now?) and did the predicted bus ride back to North Van to retrieve said items. Anyhow.

Kick-starting second year with baking cupcakes for our Imagine Day booth with the rest of the French Club executives was definitely a great way to start the year. We made over 50 mini-cupcakes, decorated prettily with a dollop of icing in the middle, and then covered them liberally with colourful sprinkles allsorts. They were delicious, if we do say so ourselves. The lovely weather yesterday was definitely a nice change from the past few drizzly days…and today’s bout of miserable on-off leaky faucet in the sky rain.

In completely unrelated news!

Jack Layton will be speaking at the SUB Party Room (2nd floor) tomorrow (September 10), so if you’re interested, do come by and take a listen! He’ll also be at the Gallery in the SUB at 7 pm, so that should be cool too.

On to dinner-making; I’d forgotten how much effort cooking for oneself requires. Eggplant and tomato bake, here I come!

Tags:   · · · 4 Comments

4 responses so far ↓

• 1 Eastwood Sep 12, 2009 at 10:00 am

So did you see Jack Layton? Thoughts?

• 2 Tyler Sep 12, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Hey, do you live on floor 13? Or 14? (just curious)

• 3 Mary Leong Sep 14, 2009 at 10:44 pm

@Eastwood: Yes, I did! It was wonderful! He is so down-to-earth and friendly and well, in a word, nice. His talk was done in a town-hall style meeting, and for the most part, fielded questions from students on a myriad of topics ranging from education to fiscal policy. I got to interview him for the Ubyssey, and got a high five at the end, which pretty much completed my week.

@Tyler: I’m on 13th.

• 4 Eastwood Sep 21, 2009 at 6:33 pm

By the way, I enjoyed reading your “Genocide, John Cage and jazz” article. Some of the courses sound very tempting!